Quick, Cheap Exterior Repaint Advice?

Old 08-30-07, 04:42 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Quick, Cheap Exterior Repaint Advice?

No need for flame, I know it's better to spend the money and time on doing the job right but I have very little of both. Plus, I will be replacing the pressboard siding next year so I don't need the paint to last more than that.

House is a single story, brick tract house in Texas. 15 years old, original paint (I think latex but am checking tonight when I get home). Paint has become very chalky. I will be painting eaves and about 100sf of siding(masonite), a metal garage door and a metal front door. I am not changing colors. Dark Baby Blueish

Here's what I've gathered so far as what I need to do.

1. Power wash 1500-2000psi @ angle. (How do I keep paint chips from going everywhere?)

2. Scrape/Sand. (What, a wire brush, followed by a sanding sponge? Medium grit?)

3. Prime raw areas. (Should I use oil primer even if over/under latex? Should I go ahead and tint? Any suggestion on a decent, cheap, big-box primer?)

4. Paint. (3" or 4" brush work okay for this job? Something else? Would prefer not to roll if at all possible. Just me.)

Like I said, if the siding was perfect, I would be investing alot more time, money and effort into a good job but right now I just want to keep from embarrassing my neighbors. Any tips, caveats or redirections are greatly appreciated.

eta: I'd like to get it power washed this weekend and let it dry for about a week b4 priming.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-07, 06:31 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 132 Votes on 118 Posts
#1 - paint chips will fly when PWing. more pressure = more flight
#2 - scraping is usually sufficent for a cheap paint job. Real sandpaper 100-120 grit] works better than a sanding sponge for exterior work.
#3 - oil primer is best, latex is ok but if all the chalk hasn't been removed add emulsa bond to first coat of paint/primer.
#4 - 4" brush would be fine.The larger the brush the more ground you will cover.

Paint won't adhere to chalk [for long] so it is impertive to remove all the chalk. Adding flood's emulsa bond to latex paint will help it adhere to iffy surfaces. Be sure to use a quality brush to apply the paint/primer - it will make the job quicker and easier.

Old 08-31-07, 07:51 AM
Ok, heres a suggestion.

1. Neighbors be darned. I wouldn't bother if next year the whole shooting match is going to be re-done. Frankly, its a waste of time. If you power wash, I would leave it at that. At least it will be clean.

2. Contact SW, or another major paint company store. Express to them that you would be interested in letting your home be used for a training exercise. I am totally serious. Depending upon the store, and the district the manager is in, some are more training concious than others. In the district I was in, we did about 5 paint projects a year. If you don't mind 15-20 strangers working on your house for a day or 2, its a cheap way (free) to get the house painted. Generally they will use test product (hasn't been marketed to the public yet, still getting test data on the product, thus real world experience).

You most likely will need to do at least some of the prep work, but if the project is a go, then they provide manpower, and paint.

One caveat, these are NOT career painters. Generally it is a collection of store managers, sales reps, and paint techs from the company supplying product. So don't expect 100% clean lines, no runs, or an otherwise professional job. Granted they will not come out to ruin your home, but basically they are trying to get a feel for the product and how it works.

Professional painters reading this, if you dont mind being a guinia pig, at least for SW EVERY store has a "demo" budget. If you are nice, and the manager gets along with you, it never hurts to ask if you can "demo" a new product, or do a test product job. It's free to you, and the customer won't know you didn't pay for product unless you are going to tell them. Most stores have between $100-$200 available for each month. Thats about 5-10 gallons. Don't expect them to demo paint for say a job that calls for PM200. It would be more like for a painter that uses PM200 but wants to upgrade to Duration.

Good Luck!

Old 08-31-07, 09:17 AM
Thanks y'all for the advice.

I think for as small of a job as this is, it doesn't justify me spending the money on renting a pw so I'll forgo that and scrape/sand. Plus, it should be easier for me to keep things cleaner. We'll see on Monday.

Old 09-01-07, 12:08 PM
Originally Posted by groundbeef View Post
It's free to you, and the customer won't know you didn't pay for product unless you are going to tell them.
Or better yet, use if for the little old lady on a fixed income, but needs her house painted. Passing on the freebie can be your good deed.

I'm all for making money on bonus product and sale pricing to me, mind you, but here's an opportunity. My $.02.

Old 09-01-07, 04:20 PM
The only problem with passing on the free paint savings is that Old Granny Fixed Income Lady tells all her bridge friends that Joe from "Painters R Us" painted her house "AND DIDNT CHARGE FOR THE PAINT".

Then all the blue hairs expect the same deal. And you only get free paint every 3 months.