"W"/"M"/"N" pattern vs. strips

Old 08-31-07, 08:14 AM
"W"/"M"/"N" pattern vs. strips

Most of the pros here and on other DIY forums advocate rolling walls (especially deep colors) in continuous stripes, while just about every DIY book or "article" website talks about putting on the paint in a M, W, or N - shaped pattern on a 3-ft square and then do horizontal rolling to fill in the gaps.

Is it because DIY-ers are more likely to push too hard on the roller, which would leave obvious roller marks with stripes? Or is there some other deep reason I can't figure out?

I've been going with a single 8-ft or so stripe per roller load (a lot less flipping the roller all over), and things look fine. (I'm going through more paint than I expected, but I'd prefer a heavy coat over one that is too thin.)

SirWired

Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-07, 12:02 PM
W M N patterns

I have tried those patterns and had to go back over them because of using different pressure on the roller while doing it that way. I have gone back to doing it the way you are now doing it.

I only use a primer when doing deep colors. I use the same paint for first and second coats on lighter shades.

I once ask a painter about using those patterns and after he finish laughing he said someone must have had to much time on his hands. lol

Duke of ....

Old 08-31-07, 12:17 PM
...yeah, that is pretty funny

"just about every DIY book or "article" website talks about putting on the paint in a M, W, or N - shaped pattern on a 3-ft square and then do horizontal rolling to fill in the gaps."

That's actually very bad advice
I'm not terribly surprised though, I have found most DIY painting books and articles to be highly amusing to downright frightening

"Is it because DIY-ers are more likely to push too hard on the roller, which would leave obvious roller marks with stripes? Or is there some other deep reason I can't figure out?"

The people that write the articles and books obviously aren't professionals, and are often just as obviously making stuff up, or simply repeating stuff they "heard" or saw someplace...usually on another DIY article/website/tvshow
It's funny, sometimes you see some piece of bad advice make the rounds

I'm sure it's written that way because it seemed logical to one of these writers, and now it's become standard in DIY painting write-ups

...anyway...
That's really bad advice
Not just for the time involved, but for the sheens
(It doesn't matter so much with flats, but the procedure should still be the same regardless)
You really want the strokes all going the same direction
The reason is that the sheens can get messed up if one part of the wall was finished one direction, another, another

It could be just the final strokes going in the same direction, but it's much better to do them all that way, just in case you don't catch/cover them all

Up down is much preferred also (a lighting and sheen issue)
Not always possible, so sideways is acceptable, just so long as it's all the same way