exterior painting

Old 08-31-07, 02:35 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
exterior painting

I'm looking to paint the trim and under the soffets/or overhang of the roof. the wood had some fine chipping paint and some cracks where the plywood butts togather.

when prepping what grit sand paper should i use, i planned on scraping the larger loose areas, and sanding the areas with finer flakes, then finally washing it down with a hose or if i have to a pressure washer before priming then painting

also, what is the best type of caulk, fillers, wood putty or silicone to use to fill the cracks, nail holes etc ...i understand some cauk is not paintable..there are so many i'm not sure which is best for this purpose

any hepl or advise for a first timer painting the ext of house......there is not much to do but i want to do it right the 1st time

also one other question, can i use a roller to paint the soffits and trim or should i use a brush??

thanks
jc

Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-07, 05:04 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 74 Votes on 70 Posts
Wash your overhang first! it will make scraping easier

Scraping is sufficent for a repaint but sanding will make for a nicer looking job. Use 100 or 120 grit sandpaper.

Use a good grade of siliconized acrylic latex caulk - it's paintable. I like the white lightning brand. Caulking, glazing or painters putty will all work for filling nail holes on the exterior. Caulking will shrink a little in a nail hole and be slightly visible. Use a damp rag or sponge when caulking to help smooth out the bead for a nice looking job.

You should be able to use a roller on the soffit. It will leave a little bit of orange peel/roller stipple which can be brushed out [while wet] if not acceptable to you.

Quality paints and tools [brush,roller cover] will make the application better/easier than their cheap counterparts. You'll find better paint/primer and advice at your local paint store - not paint dept.