Exterior-White on white?

Old 09-01-07, 04:12 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Exterior-White on white?

I am having the outside of my house painted-finally! Tried all summer to get up the energy to do it myself but never did and sure enough, our neighbors found a good painter who works cheap(well nothing here is cheap but at least it is within my budget.)

The exterior right now is a cream with blue trim and I want it white with white trim. The painter is going to use Sherwin Williams paint but I can not pick a color of white that is really appropriate for a house!! Help! I already have some white shutters to put up so I can at least take that to match the trim but am basically clueless. When another painter did the inside, I told him what I liked and he picked out the perfect white, so easy.

Can anyone tell me what they have done or what two whites to put together? I keep looking at the chips (actually big giant strips in 2 booklets) and can't decide. I don't want it to look stark white but don't like the gray tint I am seeing in some of the samples nor do I want the cream look.

There must be a pro here who uses Sherwin Williams and can tell me what color names to ask for! Thanks in advance for any help you can give me. I did talk to the paint store but they are clueless and the painter says he can not tell me either (says he just learned to match his shirts to his pants-lol).

Old 09-01-07, 05:25 PM
S
If I were in your place I would grab some cheap sheet stock of some sort of wood or paneling from Home Depot, prime it, and start slathering on some of Sherwin's $5 quart "Color To Go" samples. That way you can see exactly what they look like in sunlight. (NOTE: The Color-To-Go samples are not to be used as actual paint when you get around to actually doing your paint job. It isn't durable, scrubbable, washable, fade-resistant, etc.)

You could always start with Sherwin's "Extra White" which is their stock untinted paint. No grey, no cream, nothing but white. I have used Extra White on ceilings and trim inside my house and like it.

SirWired

Old 09-01-07, 08:44 PM
Received 15 Votes on 13 Posts
I think that you are hung up with the white colors because you are looking at them all together. That is when you really notice the gray tones vs the cream tones. Once you get it as a stand alone, without all the other samples close by, you will hardly notice the differences. On the house, it will just look white.

Decide if you like the warmer cream tones or the starker muted whites with a drop of gray. Once you have decided, choose a lighter color for the siding of the house and one that is 4 shades darker on the scale for the trim (or vise verrsa). As previously mentioned, buy some samples and test them in your yard on some scraps and place them in the sunlight. Step back several yards and see if you like the combinations.

Old 09-02-07, 09:35 AM
F
Okay, call me lazy! I was hoping for someone here to tell ME the color combo! Really, I want exact SW names and numbers because it is confusing trying to match white with white. I want the trim to be lighter than the body but don't want the body to be grayish. I read that almost 40% of people do white so someone here must have been asked to pick white with with before?

They are coming Tuesday and I just realized that I should replace all the vents before they paint AND cut back some big bushes. I will be busy today! I called the paint store and asked for help and they seemed clueless so I am not counting on much help when I go but I will pick up a few of the colors. Thanks for the idea of trying them on something other than the house! I was thinking if I put it on the house, it would not be good because it really needs power washing first.

Old 09-02-07, 09:51 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
Picking colors for a person you don't know is almost an impossible task. SWP like most paint manufactures has many different whites. Straight/pure whites vary by manufactures. Off whites will often look different depending on what colors they are next to. Whites can be lightly tinted with any color, how it is percieved depends on what it is next to or surrounded by.

Painting different sample colors is often the best way for someone to visualize colors. You can even paint on cardboard for a sample. You might get your painter to do all the prep work and then give you some time to pick a color - really depends on his schedule.

Old 09-03-07, 03:00 PM
F
Thanks to all for your suggestions! I don't know why I thought there would be "color combinations" already set up for whites with whites but there are not. Lots of other premade color "combos" with 3 colors that go together but could not find a thing for what I wanted. Really, I was tempted to just add some other colors to utilize the color combo charts like white with black shutters and red door but since I already have the shutter and the door is beautiful wood with stained glass, I am sticking with the whites.

So I forced myself to go to the SW store and picked Super White for the body and Extra White for the trim. I'm told the "normal" thing is to do the body of the house in Satin and the trim in SemiGloss. Is that correct? Any comments about these whites together? I have been playing with them all day and to me the Super White looks slightly blue/gray but everyone I ask says I am crazy and it is "just white" so what is the big deal.

I had no idea (again, always seem to be saying this lately) what I was going to have to do to "get ready" for painting! I cut all the shrubs and replaced all the 25 outside vents, moved all the furniture, fixed a few holes from stuff I had hanging and I am worn out! Interesting to find out the house was originally a dark chocolate brown when I pulled all the old vents off. I bet it had yellow trim too-yuk! Thank goodness I am not doing the painting myself, is this why they call it labor day!!?

Again, thanks for all your help!

Old 09-03-07, 03:21 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I've used both SWP's super white and the extra white but never together so I don't know how much difference there is. Satin on the body with semi-gloss or gloss on the trim is pretty standard. I've also done a lot of flat body with satin or semi-gloss trim. IMO satin body stays cleaner looking longer than with flat paint.

Old 09-04-07, 08:48 AM
F
Thanks again Marksr! Gosh with all the help you have given me over these last few months, I feel like I owe you at least a really good dinner! My biggest achievement though was fixing those corners where the walls were disintegrating-all due to your help!! Every day I look at them to see if they are holding up and they look great. Hardwood floors, eh, not so great since I am having some cupping issues despite running the dehumidifier every night. I get a sick sinking feeling whenever I look at those specific areas and the installer said he would not even come look because I signed a disclaimer saying they were not responsible for any cupping, buckling, etc. I was STUPID! I force myself to look everyday at those too and it just seems to get worse and worse, spreading like a virus but don't know what to do about it. Under the house is completely dry and it seems to run along the main joist in the house, right in a straight line all the way down-ugh! Any thoughts there?

The ext. paint colors are not all that different, as you know, just enough to have a slight variation so I am fine with that. Thanks for the satin/semi gloss lesson because in the store they all looked so close, I couldn't really tell the difference and when we had the inside painted, the trim does not look all that different from the walls either and I really can only tell the difference in the bathroom and kitchen with the gloss finish.

I am nervous about the painting!! I went over to my neighbors and inspected his paint job and noticed that his front door's glass panels had overspray big time! I noticed they also got spray on his outside glass light fixtures-ugh. I did not see if they taped and covered all the doors either but I know what an awful job it is to scrape the paint off of glass. He did not write any contract for me either and I know I want the Duration and am afraid he will slip in a lesser paint. I don't know what I am doing!!! (Stupid again?) However, I could not afford any of the other bids, (yes, it is that much difference) and it has to look better than it does now no matter what right? House has not been painted in over 20 years! I certainly can't do it myself, it's just too daunting a task. Please wish me luck and again thanks for all your help and encouragement.

Old 09-04-07, 10:27 AM
F
Well, they showed up to power wash and the first step is spraying bleach all over the house to kill any mildew or mold? OK, I am no painter but is this normal?? Is it also normal to ask for a check for materials upfront? I hope so cause I just gave him $500! (Honestly, I HATE doing all this stuff myself-ugh) I am just so unsure of everything, it is amazing that I did anything at all to this house.

Old 09-04-07, 10:40 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Bleach will kill mildew and is the cleaner I use most often. Care must be used to not damage plants with it and of course it needs to be well rinsed.

There are a lot of contractors that ask for material money up front. Personally I've never done so and feel it makes a contractor look like less of a professional. I've always had credit at the stores I get my supplies from and pay those bills at the end of the month.

When ever spraying the exterior it is best to back roll or back brush the paint to work into the substrate although you may not be paying your painter enough for him to do this. You may need to be around to make sure he uses the correct paint. IMO both A-100 and super paint do a good job but neither is as good as duration. Most of my exterior work is done with super paint, IMO it is the best coating for the price. He should cover up or shield everything to keep overspray to a minimum. Be sure to inspect the job well before cutting the final check as it is your best garuntee of getting the job finished correctly.

Old 09-04-07, 05:29 PM
F
Thanks so much Marksr. Did you want to come over and hold my hand through this process??

I felt so much better reading your post. You have no idea what a comfort it is!

They finished power washing today and we only had a few snags. The worker squirted into the doggie door all over the hardwood floor-eek! We don't use the door now so put the piano there and can't move it so that was a chore trying to wipe up the mess.

Then we had a dispute over the paint. I insisted on the Duration and he was upset because he had planned on the Superpaint. I told him the man at the paint store said it was $10 more per gallon so I would pay the extra $100. He calls me from the store and now it is $20 more per gallon so I had to cough up another $100 and when he got here, write another check for the extra $200 directly to Sherwin Williams-ugh.

Then while power washing, the worker broke 2 outdoor light fixtures, one small and minor but the other is the main giant entry light-ugh again! The boss comes and says if I go buy new lights, he will put them up free of charge so guess what I am doing tomorrow? I know it would cost me $150 minium for an electrician to come out but I had not planned on buying lights right now. Still they are old and 4 are small so it should not be too $$$. I just hope I can find something I like.

So again, thanks and did you want to come hold my hand? I'll make you a great dinner, buy you drinks, etc.!!! Wish me luck....

Old 09-05-07, 05:38 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
How do light fixtures get broke from pressure washing?? Unless the lights were already half broke it should be the contractors responsibility to pay for and install new ones.

Hopefully the rest of the job will go better. IMO it would be best not to hire this painter again - but don't tell him, atleast not until after he's finished.

Old 09-05-07, 07:04 PM
F
Oh Marksr, the lights were really not a big deal. Remember my house is 30 years old and they are the original lights. The pair that hang on the house by the garage doors was barely on by a thread and to top it all off, they were cheap to begin with. The hanging lamp is huge however, and looks like it was custom made for the house. It has old PLASTIC panel inserts and one fell out when the guy accidently hit it with the power washer. He said he could pop it back in to the wood frame.

So, the brown wood frame is sooo ugly and brown and I had to decide what to do, hmmm, again, wish you were here! So I asked him if he could take out the rest of the panels and just spray the whole thing white. Sounds okay, he's not sure, has to ask the boss...And the panels are yellow so I would have to figure that out. Still, I need the wall mount ones, 3 of them, so off I go to the big orange box. Get there, no help-grr, no hanging one, try 3 more stores and find nothing and go back to said big box and find some pretty white ones. I was sure though if I could get up on the ladder, I would find the matching hanging one but they would not let me get up there! I saw ones similar to what I had and they were around $5!! The ones I found though were pricey as usual. Come home and find a similar match at an online lighting store that will take 3-5 weeks to get here, order it anyway and the painter says he will come back and put it on when it comes-not holding my breath there-lol!

They started spraying the front and it looks sooooo good. He did say the Duration doesn't go as far as the Super Paint but didn't ask for more money (yet). Luckily I told him about the spread rate being 250-300 instead of the usual 400 sq ft-lol! Thanks to the internet, he thought I knew what I was talking about.

They did a half-a$$ job caulking though but my neighbor whose house they just painted came over and said I have to keep on them the whole time telling them every little thing. He had 1/2 the crew over his house doing touch ups again today! I guess it will take work from me to get everything the way I want it but I resisted putting post it notes on the spots they missed. Are you sure you can't come and hold my hand?! You can be sure I will be out there watching tomorrow-ugh.

All in all, it looks nice so far! I love the white, it is just right, not too blinding. Can't wait to see what the trim looks like with it. Just between us, I have to tell you that I feel lucky considering the 5 bids we got before were all around $10K for my tiny one story house! This is under $2K so for $8K difference, I can live with whatever happens.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: