Caulking Trim before Painting

Old 09-05-07, 06:23 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Caulking Trim before Painting

I'm not really sure if this belongs in this forum or not...but here goes:

I'm getting ready to paint our living/dining combo. The baseboard trim is seperating from the wall just a tad 1/16-1/8" maximum. I have prepped the walls and was going to run a small bead of caulk along the edge where the wall meets the baseboard (and maybe do this at the crown moulding also).

My question is, is this a common practice? Is it ok to do this if I do it right? What kind of caulk should I use? I think I remember us buying kitchen/bath and window caulk before. Is there one that is best for this application? I think there's some all purpose ones out there too. Silicone? The trim is white so I was thinking of going with white caulk, just was unsure of the "type".

The house is 50 years old and we aren't looking to remove/replace the trim or sheetrock any time soon. Nor did I think it would be necessary to go to those lengths.

Suggestions? Input?
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-07, 11:53 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Yes, it's common practice to caulk gaps like those. Use painters caulk; it will be labeled as such. Do not use any silicon caulks because paint won't adhere to silicon.

Run a small bead of painters caulk along the gap and run a wet finger along it to work it into the gap. Wipe off any excess with a wet rag. Paint up to the edge of the molding with your wall paint and the gap will fairly disappear.

Old 09-06-07, 04:48 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 118 Votes on 105 Posts
All gaps/cracks in painted woodwork should be caulked for a proffesional looking job. Use a siliconized acrylic latex caulk - it's paintable.