Paint Problem

Old 09-06-07, 12:21 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Paint Problem

I may have done something seriously wrong. I have old vinyl tiles in my great room that had been covered with carpet. The carpet was old and worn, stained badly. I removed the carpet and began deciding what new flooring I would like to go with. I discovered some ideas on how to actually paint over the vinyl on the web and thought this would be a great fix (for now) until we install a new wood floor a year from now. I first made sure my vinyl tiles contained no asbestos (talked with the previous homeowner about when it was installed and he told me it was bought in the late 80's and had no asbestos in it), cleaned the tiles well and did a treatment of with TSP to knock off the gloss. I then roughed up the tiles lightly with med grit sand paper. I went to my local home improvement store and bought two cans of primer/sealer. One for an outside project (exterior primer/sealer) and the primer sealer for the floor (interior primer/sealer). Both had similar looking containers and....you may know what I am leading up to by now...I mistakenly used the exterior primer/sealer to prime the roughed up vinyl tiles. I am now wondering what I can do to either remove the primer or go on with the top coat which is a dark brown oil based interior/exterior porch/floor paint. The room is well ventilated and I have no physical ills from the primer, although it was quite odiferous. I just want to make sure that if I leave this primer/sealer on the floor with the added top coat that it will not be leaking or vaporizing anything into the air that over the long term could be detrimental to my health.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-07, 01:29 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
Welcome to the forums Jimmy!

The primer should be ok but it will take longer to dry. Fresh air circulation will help both with the drying and removal fumes. Generally the 'fumes' left by exterior paint indoors is a temporary thing.

I don't know about painting vinyl tiles but don't think there would be a big problem with using a different oil base primer........... and if it only has to adhere for a year or so....

Old 09-06-07, 06:03 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks!

Thanks Mark -

The odor has really gone down in the last few hours and I've actually been able to close the windows and doors and start the A/C back up (90+ degrees here today). The primer dried and seems to be adhering to the vinyl tiles.

I'll post some before and after pics to my diy mac site when I get the project completed and place a link here.