Painting fireplace/chimney?

Old 09-07-07, 08:39 AM
Painting fireplace/chimney?

I have a "fake" rock fireplace that is actually concrete molded to look like river rock. Now that they are painting the house, the rock looks so much worse and one of the workers suggested we paint it.

Can you paint this and how would you do it? What about the mortar in between-just let them spray the whole thing all the way up to the top of the chimney? Will special paint be required? Under the rock facade is real brick and we have a gas insert for the "fire" so it is not wood burning. Inside the house, when a fire is going, the rocks do feel warm to the touch after a few hours but not burning hot. Thanks for any help or ideas as the painters have never done this before but I know enough now to double check here!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-07, 01:16 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You should be able to paint the chimney with most any grade of exterior latex paint - providing it doesn't have some type of sealer on it that would prevent good adhesion. They can use the same paint they are applying to the rest of the exterior - have then back roll it to make the paint look even.

fyi - if it is the faux stone I'm picturing, it is all stucco with colorant added to the top layer [removed to expose the untinted mortar] often with shells or pebbles thrown into the wet stucco for effect.