Painting fireplace tiles

Old 09-07-07, 06:26 PM
Cool Painting fireplace tiles

My fireplace has a tile frame and I want to paint it in a darker color. Is there any special paint that I need to use in order to avoid paint damage or production of harmful fumes because of the heat?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-07, 05:20 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the forums

Generally speaking it isn't a good idea to paint ceramic tiles. Even with proper prep there is a good chance of failure sooner or later. I don't know if/how the heat would factor in.

Old 09-11-07, 08:10 AM
I agree
It "can" be done...as in it "might" hold up for a while
But there's few sure fire ways to make paint stick to tile

You could scuff sand them, prime with a specialty primer such as BIN shellac-based sealer or XIM bonding primer, then paint
But there are no guarantees whatsoever, and if it fails, it will leave a horrible mess

I can say to stay away from the "tile painting kits" at the big box home centers, they are pretty bad

If your local Paint Store has some of the new modified epoxies, that might work
Not really DIY friendly, and not readily available to Homeowners as of yet
But that's the only thing I can think of that would (more likely than not) work

Old 09-12-07, 02:37 PM
I've actually done this exact project

I figured it was worth a shot, given the ugly peach tiles surrounding my fireplace -- I don't think anything could've made them look worse.

Let me preface this by saying that my tile had sort of a dull sheen to it. It wasn't the super glossy, super smooth ceramic. Also, we live in Houston, so our fireplace didn't get a ton of use. We did use it some, though, and we often lit lots of candles in the fireplace.

I did as a prev. poster suggested and scuff sanded the tiles, then coated with XIM. I painted with two coats of Behr paint, and it looked pretty nice. We lived there for 5 years after painting, and it still looked good.

If I had it to do over again, I would not have painted the grout lines. I also would've used either SW or BM paint to get a more luxurious look. I didn't know any better at the time.

If you want to go a slightly different route, research Skimstone (www.skimstone.com). That would be a beautiful choice for a fireplace surround. We used their products on our kitchen counters, and I'm a HUGE fan.

Good luck on your project!