Sherwin Williams exterior in Yellow fades?

Old 09-08-07, 10:38 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sherwin Williams exterior in Yellow fades?

After weeks of prepping old redwood siding, we went to the SW store to buy a yellow/cream colored exterior in super paint. The rep told us that their exterior formula tends to fade with yellow paint!? Is this true? Any one heard of this before? They basically refused to mix it for us unless we really wanted it.

I went to Benjamin Moore and got the top line paint in the yellow we wanted.

Can the paint experts comment on this?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-07, 04:05 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
Welcome to the forums

That's a new one on me I've used a lot of SWP including exterior yellows and never heard of it fading. In fact there is one house I painted yellow [10 yrs ago] that I drive past several times a month and it still looks decent.

Redwood does need a good coat of quality primer to keep the tannins from bleeding thru into the top coat but that is a primer issue, not a top coat color issue.

Old 09-09-07, 05:08 AM
I have heard of this with some yellows in some brands, but it is more of a reference to the base. Some yellows, very few, require a yellow base instead of a neutral. The difference is that the yellow base has a different type of pigment in it and is yellow to start with. They also have red bases for similar reasons. This may only refer to a handful of colors in the deck, some yellow some orange. even then fading is usually not the problem, although it is one potential issue, rather coverage is what they are trying to achieve.

I think you got a salesman who had some idea that there can be potential issues with yellow, they just didn't know what those were or probably anything else for that matter.

Old 09-09-07, 06:36 AM
"I think you got a salesman who had some idea that there can be potential issues with yellow, they just didn't know what those were or probably anything else for that matter."

I would agree

Old 09-09-07, 08:44 AM
Well, the first thing the guy said at BM was "was it a young sales rep at SWP?" The guy at SWP even told us it would take up to 30 minutes to match our color (with BEHR code) in the "computer". What BS. The guy at BM had a paint sample ready for us in less than 5 minutes to review....

I bought the Moor life, is that equal to Super Paint at SWP? Should I be concerned with quality?

Old 09-09-07, 08:47 AM
It's technically a "step above" if you were to trying to compare apples to apples
Which is kind of hard to do in between lines like that, but have no worries
I have used it for decades
You should have no concerns about quality