What to do now? Painter used wrong color!!

Old 09-11-07, 08:13 AM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What to do now? Painter used wrong color!!

Remember my "white on white" color scheme? The painter is just about finished and I kept saying from the start that I could not tell the difference in the color but everyone kept telling me I was wrong and as soon as the trim dried I would see. Well, the trim has dried and I pulled the cans and he did not use the color for the body I picked. It turns out that the trim and the body are both the intended trim color, just the body is satin and the trim is semigloss. What do I do? What is fair?

I already paid extra for the duration paint! Do I buy more paint and have him do it again? I really wanted the slight contrast between the trim work and the body and remember I spent a whole morning at the paint store picking and choosing the colors so I am disappointed and somewhat angry that everyone was blowing me off saying it was just me!! Granted I don't have the best eyesite but darn it, this is just not what I picked!!!

Still I do feel partly responsible because all I had to do days ago was double check the name on the paint bucket. Help!?

Old 09-11-07, 09:02 AM
F
ACK! Marksr, where are you?

So the paint store says it is their fault!! What do I ask for? Labor and Paint? Help! What is customary?

Old 09-11-07, 12:29 PM
S
I'm assuming then that the contractor didn't provide the paint?
That would be his/her responsibility to ensure it's the color stated in the contract
If you provided the paint, it would be your responsibility

If the Paint Store provided you not with what you asked for, but something else, they it could most certainly be considered their fault (but usually at this point the contractor identifies the problem, and labor to repaint isn't involved)

If they are willing to provide the correct color paint, and funds for the labor to repaint the mistake, I would take it
If they are willing to provide the correct color paint, but no more, I would press for something extra, as you will have the expense of the labor for the repaint

There is no "customary" amount, or procedure
Truthfully, it doesn't happen that often
As usually contractors provide the materials, so it would be their fault, and their dime (we would have caught it, or if we didn't, we'd have to "eat" the repaint)
It really depends on the individual store management as to how to handle the mistake

Get what you can

Old 09-11-07, 01:38 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
If the paint store has acknowledged it as their fault it you should be able to get the correct color/paint for free. You will likely be stuck with the additional labor charge.

As slick mentioned, when we buy the materials it is our responsibility to have the color, sheen and brand/line correct. If we make a mistake, we pay When the customer supplies the materials it is up to them to make sure it's right.

With a LOT of luck you might get the store to do more than just supply the paint free of charge.

Old 09-11-07, 07:45 PM
F
Well, I certainly am in a pickle!

The paint store manager was to come out at noon today and look at the problem. He did not show up and when I called he said he could not get away and would come tomorrow morning, not holding my breath. He now says he has no idea how the mix up happened!

I went to the paint store and picked out the paint colors with the store worker. He gave me the chips and then went so far as to mix up a small amount of the body color and painted it on a sheet of paper for me. He wrote down the numbers of both the trim and the body on the paper for me and stapled the sample of the trim to it. .

When the painter came, I gave him the paper and he took it to the paint store and bought some of the paint but because I insisted on the Duration, I paid the "price difference" for the more expensive paint with a check made directly to Sherwin Williams and he went back to get more since it doesn't go as far. So heck, I don't even have an answer to who bought the paint! Really he did, I guess.

I "thought" I was picking 2 stock colors-the superwhite and the extrawhite. Now they tell me that the superwhite was discontinued and they had to mix it and that is why the can says extrawhite. The problem is that they are all mixed up and only one can out of the whole bunch has their sticker on it showing that is was mixed and oops, it is the body color in the gloss! Now my house has all different sheens and it a mix of superwhite and extra white all over! The trim certainly does not look one bit different from the body except certain places are shinier than others.

I am pretty sure I am just out of luck.....The painter thought that SW was going to pay for new paint and his labor too but now he isn't sure of what paint went where and since it all looks so similar, he just wants to finish the touch up and move on.

See, Marksr, I really did need you to hold my hand (sob, sob!)

Old 09-12-07, 06:31 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Anytime paint is tinted it should have it clearly marked on the lid [or label]. This used to be done with a magic marker but most now use a printed label that states the color name/number and often the tint formula. Any can without a sticker should be assumed to have no tint. The invoice should also indicate what sheens and tint.

If the painter mixed or applied different sheens to the body of the house - that's his problem. If I accidently mixed two different paints together and applied to the wall - it would be my responsibility to buy more paint and redo the wall correctly.

Old 09-12-07, 07:52 AM
F
Thanks for your advice, Marksr!

I do have the invoices from the store and they are as mixed up as the cans. Some show the colors were mixed, some not but one clearly shows the wrong color in the wrong sheen. I am just going to have the painter finish with the touch ups and be done with it today!

See the old adage, you get what you pay for is really true....

Too bad there is no whiter white than the extra white or I would pay the extra to have the trim redone to have some contrast. To me, it looks so strange to have it all exactly the same color. I wanted the trim lighter because I read that it makes the house look bigger but am entertaining thoughts of doing a different trim down the road. At least I know not to pick red from what I've read here or this painter again!!

I do feel that basically it is the painter's fault because clearly the cans are not labeled properly and he should have checked. SW is at fault too because their cans are not labeled as they should be and some are wrong. Did the painter ask for the wrong color or did SW make the mistake? Who can tell without the label? Still, the painter is a New Orlean's transplant trying to get on his feet so I won't make him eat it!

It's too bad all the way around. I had 3 more jobs lined up for him but certainly can not feel comfortable sending him now. Everyone loses-well not SW but the big guys seldom lose.

Old 09-12-07, 09:40 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I've painted 100's of houses and there is no set rule for color combination or lack of. many years ago it was common to paint the entire exterior with white - all oil base w/sheen.

I've painted plenty of houses with either the trim darker or lighter than the body. A few with multiple trim colors. While the trim color dark/light follows trends a little, it is mostly personal preference.

Make sure all the paint and sheens are to your satisfaction [or atleast aceptable ] as your options are often limitted after you write the check.

Old 09-12-07, 10:20 AM
F
Thanks Marksr.

I just met with the manager of SW, very nice guy! He went over all the receipts with me. The first purchase was a good start-5 gal satin duration in the mixed superwhite. That was the right one for the body.

The next day is where it gets screwed up though-painter bought 1 gallon gloss and had it mixed superwhite-should have been the extra white. Then he also bought a gallon of satin in the extrawhite, should have been superwhite PLUS it was superpaint not the duration. From this point on, I was just plain screwed and there was no way to fix it but at least now I know how and where it all went wrong. In the end he bought 12 gallons total-6 in satin-1 wrong color and wrong grade and 6 in gloss-1 wrong color.

Just looking at it on paper makes me wonder why the heck he would need the same amount of trim paint as body for a 2200 sq foot house!? The only trim is around the window, 2" trim-8 windows, 3 sliders, front door and the gutters. I can't tell about the downspouts-some are shiny, some are not. The body satin must be really sprayed on thin, don't ya think?

Heck, at this point I will just be happy if he shows up to finish up. It is already after 10 here...but all his stuff is still here so he must be coming right? Hmmm, his sprayer is gone but the ladders are here, he might just blow those off! I only owe him a tiny bit so if I were him, I would blow it off I guess but he is still working on my neighbors house too.

Wish me luck and again, thanks for your invaluable help and support! It DOES look better than it did before....just not what I wanted, oh well....

Old 09-12-07, 10:26 AM
G
Contact District Manager

In this instance, if the store acknowledged supplying incorrect material they SHOULD pick up labor and paint.

The store manager will balk. Disregard his/her protests and CALMLY ask for the District Manager's phone #. Contact district office, and CALMY explain that the store didn't supply correct material, and you expect a total repaint. This is NOT your fault. DO NOT suggest to the DM that somehow you are partially at fault, or that the painter might be at fault. Insist that your painter do the job correctly, and that SW will cover the job.

FYI as a SW manager I once had to cut a check for $25,000 to cover the cost of repainting a bridge in MO. It was not the fault of the store, but we shipped material for a job that corporate had cleared for state use. Unfortunatly the state had NOT approved that batch we sent, and viola we paid for blasting, removal, and repaint. What a headache.

If the store is in the wrong, hold them to it. Above all, remain calm, hold your ground, and you WILL get taken care of. IF the DM is being unreasonable, you can ask for the Area Manager. This is quite a big step, and I would only do this if the DM causes a fuss. Quite unlikely.

Old 09-12-07, 10:35 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Ladders aren't cheap! I have well over $1000 worth - just for a 1-2 man outfit. Although there is a difference between the cheap home owner type grade and commercial ladders. At any rate I'm sure he'll come back for them - kind of hard to work without them Sometimes it is simplier to store equipment on the last job until you need it - should always be removed once the job is complete! It isn't uncommon to have several jobs going at one time - this allows them to work no matter what the weather conditions are. That's not to say that it is proper to completely pull off or abandon a job to start another and leave the first job hanging.

Generally the body takes the most paint but a wide overhang can also use a lot of paint. It sounds like him or his guys didn't pay much attention when they opened up the paint.

Hope it all works out ok for you.

Old 09-13-07, 08:20 AM
F
Thanks for all of your replies!

He did not show up at all or even call yesterday so I am holding my breath today to see if he comes. Yes, I paid him in increments so I owe him very little now and there is still a lot of work left to do.

Last night, I took stock of what paint was left over and there isn't enough to do the finish touch up work. He was going to do the touch ups, not much but enough to need more paint in both sheens and also put the shutters back on the house and hang the light that came yesterday(instead of the 3-5 weeks we thought.) In my opinion, that is an awful lot of work left on top of the cost of 2 more gallons of paint ~$80 for what little $ I still owe him.

Hmmm, maybe I should just get to work and finish up myself and not hold my breath....wouldn't be surprised if he snuck in and just grabbed his ladders without me seeing. Should I lock them in the garage? I also found his drill and a sander in the side yard. Send me lucky vibes today!

Old 09-13-07, 09:25 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
A lot depends on your painter's character and how much importance he puts in having a good reputation. Locking his ladders up in the garage might be a good idea since he would have to see you before he could retrieve them - you could always say you put them there so no one could steal them

Old 09-14-07, 11:21 AM
F
Yippie! He showed up and finished all the painting and touch ups and I didn't even have to lock up the ladder. That is a great tip though for the future to "keep it safe." He even brought the electician with him just by coincidence and he installed my new light.

When I ordered the light, it was supposed to come with 6 feet of chain and 10 feet of wire and both were all of 2 feet so he had to rewire the whole thing and get more chain. Never asked for an extra penny either.

All in all, I am just relieved that it is all done! Part of the deal was he would also power wash the sidewalk and porch and then do the sealant. He says he will be back to do that but I am not holding my breath and am just happy to have the paint done. It looks sooooo much better!

Gosh, Marksr, are you sure you won't come to dinner and check out all my improvements that you have "carried" me through?!! Many thanks again....now if I can just get that darn bathroom done...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: