Opinions on Kelly Moore ecoat paint?

Old 09-13-07, 06:23 AM
Opinions on Kelly Moore ecoat paint?

I am interested in painting several rooms with the Kelly Moore ecoat paint. I am attracted to it's price (about $8/gal) and the fact that it's made of 100% recycled paint. I even like the colors (all earthy shades). I would like to use it on the walls and possibly on the trim (simple 1x material) in living areas and bathrooms. My only reservation is it's a special order and I have to drive an hour to go get it - so I want to make sure it's worthwhile.

Has anyone worked with this stuff before, and what did you think of it?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-07, 07:22 AM
Originally Posted by logcabincook View Post
I am interested in painting several rooms with the Kelly Moore ecoat paint. I am attracted to it's price (about $8/gal) and the fact that it's made of 100% recycled paint. I even like the colors (all earthy shades). I would like to use it on the walls and possibly on the trim (simple 1x material) in living areas and bathrooms. My only reservation is it's a special order and I have to drive an hour to go get it - so I want to make sure it's worthwhile.

Has anyone worked with this stuff before, and what did you think of it?
While I've never heard of this stuff, I'd be wary of any paint going for a measly $8/gal. Combined with the fact that it is an interior/exterior combo paint, I'd be VERY wary. (If that was easy to do, I would think paint companies would be all over it.) Of course, it may be cheap because their raw materials are practically free... The issue with using 100% post-consumer recycled paint is that it can't be anything BUT a mixture of a zillion different kinds of random stuff from all sorts of different paint companies. I would expect you are going to get a blend of everything from SW Exterior Duration all the way down to $5/gal Home Cheapo paint. Heck, there may be some primer tossed in there too, along with who knows what else ended up in the paint pail before Joe Homeowner took it to the dump. I know that when I get rid of unused paint, the folks at the dump on HazMat day just empty every can into a bunch of 55-gallon drums.

I personally wouldn't use this stuff for anything but the cheapest, hope-it-sticks-long-enough-for-me-to-sell, no-color-change, low-end repaint.

If you want to save the environment, I'd start by not making a two-hour round trip in your car to buy it.

SirWired

Old 09-13-07, 07:32 AM
Sir - you have good points. However it's not interior/exterior paint. It's only interior, though there is an exterior grade available. And of course, I would combine my errand to pick up the paint with another in the same area - our new/used freestanding stove will be picked up on the same trip :-)

I guess I could call the company and ask where the paint comes from originally...

Old 09-13-07, 09:36 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I've heard of kelly moore but not sure if I've ever used any. Generally with coatings [as most things] you get what you pay for. Even if you can justify the travel to get it, is any money saved if it covers or applys poorly?

I once bought a gallon of masonary paint at big lots for $6, was going to paint interior walls in my shop. When I opened the paint I found it wasn't fit for anything but to mix in with 5 gals of wall primer. It had no coverage and didn't appear to want to stay on the wall until it would dry - I only used 1 roller full

Old 09-13-07, 11:23 AM
Originally Posted by logcabincook View Post
Sir - you have good points. However it's not interior/exterior paint. It's only interior, though there is an exterior grade available. And of course, I would combine my errand to pick up the paint with another in the same area - our new/used freestanding stove will be picked up on the same trip :-)

I guess I could call the company and ask where the paint comes from originally...
According to their website, it is a combo product:

http://www.kellymoore.com/products/groups/e_coat

SirWired

Old 09-13-07, 12:05 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
advertising not allowed

Last edited by marksr; 09-13-07 at 02:17 PM.
Old 09-13-07, 12:17 PM
Sir, I see... the brochure and store say otherwise. Maybe they changed the formulation at some point?