Bathroom

Old 09-13-07, 06:59 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Bathroom

Ok I have a questions:
We have bathroom that we removed old wallpaper. (Trailer) The walls are wood. When the paper was removed in spots there are scrape marks from scraping the paper off. We washed walls, put 2 coats of kilz and 2 coats of semi-gloss.
The scratches can still be seen and after 1yr the paint is coming off the wall. Not sure what to do.
Do I sand first? What do I fill scratches in with so I can't seem them. Do I kilz again??
Thanks

Old 09-14-07, 03:42 AM
S
On the scrape marks: Paint is so thin when it dries it cannot be counted on to fill in anything. For wood walls, fill scratches with wood filler.

On the failing paint: Which Kilz did you prime with? Original Kilz (good), or Kilz2 (bad)? Some here have suggested the rather smelly Zinsser Perma-White as THE bathroom coating to use.

Another cause of paint failure is inadequate washing (maybe you used just dawn instead of something with a little more strength, like TSP). Bathrooms are notorious for things like soap or hairspray residue causing adhesion problems.

Also, the wood needs a chance to dry out before painting. The bathroom needs to go unused for a week or so, or the paint will trap moisture in the wood.

You will need to aggressively scrape/sand all loose paint or anything you do will be pointless. I'd personally go with sanding...

SirWired

Old 09-14-07, 04:48 AM
S
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
The scratches must be filled before painting
Paint colors, it doesn't fill

Simply washing may not have been enough prep
I can't really tell from here, at this point
All that wallpaper adhesive and glade and hairspray residue must be removed or sealed

Also, it depends on which Kilz you used (there are several)
Pretty much any of the latex Kilz would be the wrong ones for this application-over wood that had been wallpapered (and frankly, the latex ones have high failure rates when used in the correct application anyway...so that would be a double chance of failure)

The thing to do now to fix it, is scrape and sand any/all loose, poorly adhering paint/primer off the wall
What you end up with will determine the next step(s)

Old 09-14-07, 05:38 AM
G
Since paint is on wall should I still fill scratches with wood filler or do I use spackle.
Once I fill scratches,,do I use Kilz again? Then paint?

Thanks

Old 09-14-07, 05:49 AM
S
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
If the area is exposed wood, then use wood putty

If the area is firmly adhering paint or primer, then use joint compound or spackle (they are two different things)

Very small scratches/holes you can use spackle
For the rest (and if you need to skim a large section with lots of scratches), a lightweight joint compound would be better

Those repair areas, regardless of what you used, should be re-primed before painting

A regular latex primer would do at this point, but I would not recommend any latex Kilz products

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: