paint sprayers

Old 09-25-07, 07:00 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
paint sprayers

My current projects are, painting about 36 aluminum shutters (latex), painting my father's cedar shingled house and sealing and staining my deck.

Can anyone recommend a relatively inexpensive paint sprayer that would work for all these projects or am I wishing for the impossible?

Thanks for the help,

Matt

Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-07, 08:08 AM
G
You are wanting the impossible.

Talk to a professional paint store (SW, BM, etc) and enquire about rental pumps. These are true professional grade equipment, and are usually about $100 for a weekend. If you do your prep work beforehand, a weekend should be long enough to get the job finished.

Also, ask about a weekend rate, or if they discount when you buy all your material for the job from them. Depending upon size of job, they may just give you a 1 day rate!

Old 09-25-07, 08:15 AM
M
What's wrong with that my wife asks me for the impossible all the time?

Would one of those $100 wagner jobs be able to do the shutters and the deck?

Old 09-25-07, 08:46 AM
S
Oh God no...

I mean...it'll take twice as long and look twice as bad and I suppose it's technically possible (though doubtful) it might actually last (still technically spit paint) till the end of the project before it completely fails or you throw it in the trash, but I can't recommend them as a viable option, no

You'd be much, much, better off renting the proper equipment
It will go smoother (less headaches), quicker (lots...like days), and look better (proper spray)

Old 09-25-07, 01:09 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
I agree, I'd hate to have to spray with sub standard equipment although I suppose it's possible for a diyer to be satisfied with a cheap airless - mostly because they don't know how a quality airless operates.

Old 09-25-07, 05:37 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I'll chime in here to give you my personal experience.

I have a Wagner Paint Crew from HD.

I've used it to paint numerous bedrooms, cabinetry, garage, etc.

Though I have not used it outdoors, this sprayer worked very well. The spray gun is not cheezy like some of the plastic kinds.

I believe my Wagner puts out 2800PSI if I'm not mistaken.

If you are going to get one of these, get addditional sprayer tips to spray the stain and extra filters.

Only thing I do not like about the unit is the hose/sprayer connection; it did not come with a swivel so you have to use alot of wrist and forarm muscle to keep the hose from turning the gun, if that makes sense.

With the amount of spraying you need to do, I would follow the other posters comments about renting a pro sprayer though. Good luck!

Old 09-25-07, 07:41 PM
One thing that would drive me nuts about the wagner paint crew is that I believe the paint gets poured into a recepticle mounted on the machine.

I couldn't imagine having to clean that too.

With my airless I just plop the pickup line into the bucket of painy and off I go. Well, most of the time anyway.

Jim