Painting Tongue & Groove Ceiling

Old 10-06-07, 07:30 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Painting Tongue & Groove Ceiling

How would you suggest painting the tongue & groove boards of a porch ceiling?

On my first pass, I used a brush to push primer (Kilz Premium) deep into the grooves, and then used a 9-inch roller to paint the flat portions of the boards. The ceiling measures only 5-feet by 6-feet, but it took so long to brush the paint deep into the grooves and the weather was so warm, the paint in and along the grooves was dry by the time I returned with the roller, so I could not blend the new and older paint properly. As a result, the paint was two layers thick over the grooves, and only one layer thick over the flat portions, giving coverage that was blotchy and uneven. I sanded and scraped to try to even it out.

Now I plan to paint a second coat of primer, before eventually painting with color. Can anyone suggest a process that would be more efficient for painting the tongue & groove boards?

Old 10-07-07, 05:12 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

1 coat of primer should be sufficent. Switch to your finish paint - it will dry slower plus it is less likely to show a difference.

Another method of application would be to use a heavy nap roller and slop the paint on and then use a brush to smooth it out and also coat any areas missed by the roller. You need to be fairly fast or have help to do it this way. You shouldn't have any issues painting the way you have been.

Old 10-07-07, 06:12 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
I agree on using only one coat of primer. If you want to paint the same way you applied the primer, have a friend help - one on the brush and one on the roller so the paint doesn't have time to dry.

Good paint is worth the cost difference over cheap paint. Buy from a paint store, not a paint department.

Last edited by stickshift; 10-07-07 at 11:06 AM.
Old 10-07-07, 09:48 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
Paint dries different than primer. Even if you have to finish painting by yourself, it isn't likely that the finish coat will show lap marks - especially if you apply 2 coats.

Old 10-08-07, 05:49 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ditto everything said above
Specifically in reply to "How would you suggest painting the tongue & groove boards of a porch ceiling?"
I would use a quality brush and paint or enamel and work very quickly

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: