microwave rust

Old 10-17-07, 10:42 AM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
microwave rust

Can I repaint the inside of my microwave? What type of paint is best after removing the rust?

Old 10-17-07, 12:44 PM
S
Don't go by just my recommendation, but I think a good start would be an exterior enamel meant for metal. This would be after removing every last speck of rust and applying a quality primer, also meant for metal. Your local Sherwin Williams would be a good place to ask this question, as they are a "coatings" conglomerate, as opposed to just sellers of paint. Of course, the expertise of the folks at the store may not extend to some of their more esoteric products, but they may be able to ask somebody who does know.

Whatever you do, don't expect the job to last long. I expect the factory finish is baked on, which is not something you could do at home, and the heat and steam inside a microwave are a tough challenge for any coating.

SirWired

Old 10-17-07, 01:06 PM
T
Microwave interior spray paint is available.

Old 10-18-07, 04:11 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
If paint specific for microwaves is available I'd use it! Most any rust inhibitive primer followed by an oil base enamel will stop the rust but since this is a cooking appliance I'd be concerned about paint fumes interacting with what you are cooking might not be a problem after it is used several times

Old 10-18-07, 04:41 PM
S
If the inside of your microwave is rusty you should dispose of it
It's a safety issue

Old 10-19-07, 05:33 AM
I would agree with Slick. With the cost of microwaves below $100 bucks for a decent unit I would chuck it and buy a new one.

Old 10-19-07, 05:51 AM
S
Originally Posted by slickshift View Post
If the inside of your microwave is rusty you should dispose of it
It's a safety issue
I think that if there is specific microwave paint, it should do just fine. I don't see how rust is a safety issue. Sure, rust holes would be a problem, but I don't see how surface rust is going to make it unsafe.

SirWired

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: