living/dining combo -painting question

Old 10-20-07, 01:19 AM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question living/dining combo -painting question

As you enter through our front door into the foyer, there is a living/dining room combo to the right. There are two pillars creating a three section arched entryway into this combo room. Is it necessary to paint the entire room the same pattern and color or different pattern with the same color scheme? I want to create an elegant dining room with a cozy sitting area (living room). The room is fairly large with crown molding. The dining room portion has a chair rail with (I forget the name of it) rectangles below the chair rail. Some people usually have these squares painted darker colors to show depth. Thanks - Not So Handy

Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-07, 02:17 AM
T
Whatever common wall that the two areas share should be painted the same. After that you can use complementary, contrasting, or monotone scheme. Pillars can be painted brite white or off white or stained and finished. All enterior trim is preferred to be the same for continuity.

Old 10-20-07, 02:24 AM
N
Smile thank you..

I didn't expect a reply so soon, especially 4 AM(EST). Thank you for the suggestion. That helps a lot and gives me a starting point. I am newly registered to the site and already getting the help I need!

Old 10-20-07, 02:35 AM
T
Sorry, but some of us are insomniacs and those nocuturnal creatures. Just haven't figured out which one I'd like to be. Hope feedback is helpful. Kick back and respond and be specific. Photos great.

Old 10-20-07, 07:11 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
I've always reffered to the area below the chair rail with the squares as a wainscotting. I normally paint that entire section with whatever enamel I'm using on the rest of the room/house. It's look can be changed by using any combination of colors - no set rules - whatever strikes your fancy Don't be scared to experiment - paint is cheap [compared to most changes] and can easily be changed if you don't like it.

I agree that the common wall should be 1 color - either the same as the rest or an accent color.

btw - welcome to the forums!

p.s. - Unlike twelvepole, I need my beauty sleep