Ceiling Paint Technique

Old 11-03-07, 10:27 PM
J
js1
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ceiling Paint Technique

I'm struggling to get my ceilings looking decent, but just keep struggling with getting a smooth, even texture. The ceiling looks great when you're lying on the floor...but from the doorway looking towards a window, all I see are shaddows where the roller reversed direction.

I'm using Moore white Ceiling Paint with 1/2" rollers, maintaining a wet edge, using plenty of paint (1 gallon per 300 sq ft), and I even skim-coated and re-sanded the entire ceiling. But no matter what I do, all I see are shaddows from the roller texture.

Is this a common problem for novices? Is there a self-leveling ceiling paint that might help?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-07, 04:25 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 301 Votes on 267 Posts
Were any of these shadows noticable prior to painting? If it is in the texture, paint may not fix it. Have you tried applying the paint in another direction? cross ways from your current rolling.

I'm not overly familiar with BM paints but I know it is easier for me to get a good looking ceiling job with SWP's wall paint than it is with their ceiling paint.

Old 11-04-07, 07:10 AM
B
You don't mention the type or quality of roller sleeve, but you might want to invest in a top quality sleeve.

Use an extension for the roller handle. It really helps.

Old 11-05-07, 05:03 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The type of roller you use has a lot to do with it. I love the Wooster knitted wool 1 1/4 inch nap. How big is this ceiling? If it is large, two people and even three rolling will help. It is best to roll perpendicular to the light where you see the problem. Too much heat at the ceiling does not help.

Old 11-07-07, 07:11 PM
S
If you are using the Muresco, you are using one of the (if not the) best ceiling paints out there

On top of using a quality roller sleeve, and proper technique (not squishing out the paint, but applying it...laying it on), there's not much else I can say from here, w/o seeing it

But I do wonder if the 'texture' is normal stipple (small bumps left from the application), or excessive
Were you looking for a perfectly smooth ceiling with no stipple?