Help needed for bathroom paint selection

Old 11-05-07, 04:24 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help needed for bathroom paint selection

I'm redoing an infrequently bathroom (with shower) and having beadboard wainscoting installed. I'll be painting the beadboard some shade of white/off white with a SW paint. For a smooth finish, should I use the Bath paint or the ProClassic enamel? Do I need Floetrol? What shades of white (yellowish, grayish, reddish, etc.) will make the white sink, tub, and toilet look white and not look gray or dirty? I can't tell just by holding up those little chips.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-07, 04:23 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 294 Votes on 261 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

You should get good results with either kitchen and bath or proclassic although I'd use proclassic enamel for the wainscotting or any woodwork. The K&B will have extra mildewcide.

Generally the pure whites are the ones that will make the different shades of white fixtures appear different. off whites don't usually pose that problem. You could always get a sample to apply to the wall if you are having trouble choosing.

Old 11-06-07, 07:08 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If it is a bathroom!! USE THE SHERWIN WILLIAMS BATH PAINT! This stuff looks like yesterday after 5 years. In other words....it holds up!! You say this is a seldom used bathroom? Use it anyway just in case! DO NOT USE PRO CLASSIC AS THIS PAINT IS A NIGHTMARE WHEN USED WHERE THERE IS MOISTURE! From experience!

No Floetrol! Not needed.

The color is your choice. Not much i can say on that.

Welcome to the forum!

Old 11-07-07, 03:58 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
analog - I'm curious, what problems did you experience with proclassic? was it the waterborne? IMO proclassic waterborne is the best enamel I've ever used although there is a slight learning curve with it's application.

Old 11-07-07, 05:04 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
Good paint comes from paint stores, not paint departments. I used Benjamin Moore kitchen & bath in mine and it's held up well.

Old 11-07-07, 11:17 AM
S
I was wondering what was wrong with the ProClassic Waterbourne in the bathroom also... I was planning to use it there when I got around to doing mine.

SirWired

Old 11-07-07, 05:11 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by marksr View Post
analog - I'm curious, what problems did you experience with proclassic? was it the waterborne? IMO proclassic waterborne is the best enamel I've ever used although there is a slight learning curve with it's application.
The waterborne marksr. Proclassic is great unless there is moisture. Do not use on window sashes or bathroom walls. I no longer use Pro classic. I have had bad problems on.....window sashes, handrails (constant touched), anywhere there is moisture (waterborne). The oil is great on woodwork. If using a paint in a bathroom. The BATHPAINT from Sherwin Williams is fantastic. Satin and semi gloss but NO colors are made beyond midtone.

The application is a learning curve MARKSR. I do agree with that. The waterborn Pro classic for my best success has been cabinets. It does have fantastic leveling properties.

I should ad that I am an advt Sherwin Williams user, I always say that Ben Moore can give free paint for the inside and the outside of my house and i would say "no thanks"!

Old 11-07-07, 06:54 PM
S
IMO beadboard/wainscoting looks better with an enamel like Ben Moore's Impervo or SW Pro Classic
I've neither seen nor heard of any issues in baths with either

Old 11-08-07, 04:03 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by analog4011 View Post
Proclassic is great unless there is moisture. Do not use on window sashes or bathroom walls. I no longer use Pro classic. I have had bad problems on.....window sashes, handrails (constant touched), anywhere there is moisture (waterborne).
Specifically, what problems have you had where there is moisture? All the painted woodwork in my house is proclassic waterborne and I've used it on many customer homes and have yet to see a down side - except maybe price