paint types, air flow, and dust

Old 11-07-07, 06:14 AM
H
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
paint types, air flow, and dust

Paint section employee a Home Depot mentioned something I've never heard before. He said I needed to use a satin type paint for ceilings, an eggshell type for walls, and (forgot) for baseboards.

Not using these types could (or would) create a dust collection situation due to air flow resistance/restriction.

I found this to be very interesting as my house seems to be a dust trap despite replacing the ac, ac ducts, and carpet in the same month.

Any ideas?

thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-07, 06:28 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 293 Votes on 260 Posts
Depending on the manufacture, eggshell and satin enamels are similiar in sheen [low] I'm sure he recomended semi-gloss for the woodwork.

Dust might be slightly less attracted to an enamel versus a flat sheen. I doubt it would make a difference on the ceiling. Any sheen of enamel is more washable than flat paint. You always want to use an enamel on woodwork although which sheen satin,semi or gloss] to use is basically personal preference.

Generally you will find more knowledgable advice from a paint store employee than you will from a big box paint dept.

All the work you've done recently on your home may be the cause for the excessive dust, if so it should settle down shortly.

Old 11-07-07, 06:59 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by houston290 View Post
Paint section employee a Home Depot mentioned something I've never heard before. He said I needed to use a satin type paint for ceilings, an eggshell type for walls, and (forgot) for baseboards.

Not using these types could (or would) create a dust collection situation due to air flow resistance/restriction....
Any ideas?
My idea is the paint selection employee you spoke with is an idiot
Please don't ever ask this person for paint advice ever again

Old 11-08-07, 02:12 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
Flat on ceilings is the norm around here. I agree that this particular person should be avoided in the future. Of course, if you follow Mark's advice and go to a paint store, that won't be an issue.