Commerial bids

Old 11-08-07, 09:25 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Commerial bids

Hi, does anyone have any experience bidding and painting new commercial buildings. I am in idaho and could do with finding rates. Also is commercial bidding based on floor Sq ft or is there another way to calculate? This particular building is an assisted living center with upwards of one hundred rooms so wall space is significantly larger than any given residential application.
Thanks
crazybrit

Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-07, 10:57 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 296 Votes on 262 Posts
Most everywhere I've worked, new interior painting is bid by the floor sq footage... but that isn't to say that it might be bid differently in differnt locales. Surely the GC has a preffered way that he wants the price broke down. Also what is expected from the painter.

It would be very hard for someone other than your direct competitors to give you a going rate. Industry standards can very greatly across the country.

IMO it is better to base your pricing off of your own costs. 35 yrs ago I was asked to bid on a large hospital addition. I was really intimidated, it was a big job but the GC reminded me that it was basically just a series of rooms or many identical small jobs rolled up into one. it shouldn't be too hard to figure out your cost per room - math will take care of the rest. Always add 10% to the bid to cover anything you might have overlooked.

Old 11-08-07, 11:29 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
Are you the painter trying to come up with a bid or the owner/manager trying to judge bids?

Old 11-15-07, 12:57 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hi Mitch17 I'm the painter wanting to know how much to charge.