Estimating Amount of Paint for a job!??

Old 11-08-07, 12:18 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Estimating Amount of Paint for a job!??

Hello all,
I am a diy'er, I have a full time job as a surg tech at the local hospital, and the new surgeon I work w/ asked to see if I could paint 2 of his rooms in his brand new house. I said sure. Money will be good, but how do I estimate the amount of paint!? I don't know the sizes of the rooms yet, I am going over there tonight to look. He only wants the walls done, the ceiling is fine. The walls are a very bright red and an ugly puke green he said. Don't know why a contractor would paint them that color but oh well. Also, what should I charge. I am a good painter, I have a steady hand when cutting in. I will post back when I get the dimensions. Also I will have to prime each room and probably put 2 coats of paint on the walls. That is what I had to do when we bought our house and a room was an ugly bright blue!! THANKS

Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-07, 12:47 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 226 Votes on 201 Posts
Most paints cover approx 400 sq ft of smooth surface. Rough texture or porous substrate will require more paint.

I'm sure the previous paint contractor applied those colors because that was what the customer wanted. I've painted many colors that I wouldn't want in my house but...... to each his own

Be sure to specify quality coatings. Cheap paints often don't work or cover aws well as their quality counterpart.

What to charge - how much do you want to make? how much is he willing to pay?

Old 11-08-07, 02:56 PM
Well, I went and looked at the house!! HUGE HOUSE OF COURSE! It is a brand new house that was for sale but the seller decided to rent it out b/c it has been on the market for over a yr!! Its in a development. All I have to say is if my house looked like that after it was built the contractor and I would have some problems. Drywall is cracked the previous painter, well wow!!! Shotttty work!!!!
Anyway there is a lot to paint!! He wants me to have it done by Sunday and he is going to help!! I bought 3 gal of paint and 2 gal of primer from Sherwin Williams. It is that Duration line!! Suppose to be the best. I talked to my painter I used to work with and taught me everything, and he said I charge 30/hr and that I should charge 20/hr. I have to put the primer on tomorrow after work which will take me sometime. A hell of a lot of cutting in. Let me know what you guys think! Thanks!!!

Old 11-08-07, 03:16 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 93 Votes on 82 Posts
Not familiar with the SWP line, but if it's their good stuff, you'll be fine. I assume you also chose quality brushes and roller covers. I have a neighbor who's a pro painter and on a friend's house he charged $30/hour - don't know whether that was any kind of a discount. Regardless, I think $20/hour is fair if you're ok with it.

Old 11-08-07, 05:05 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If the drywall is cracked, dinged, nail-popped, whatever, you should probably fix that up before priming, etc. Of course, if all your friend wants you to pay you to do is paint, fine, but he won't get a top-quality job if the paint is being applied to a poor surface.

And yeah, covering up badly done bright colors is a real pain... the intrepid previous owners of my house managed to get bright pink paint in the carpet when they were doing the trim. And even if YOU cut a straight line, they might have gotten some of the bright nasty paint on the ceiling.

SirWired

Old 11-08-07, 06:21 PM
Lucky for me the nail pops I saw which were like 6 in a row on one stud are on the wall that he don't want painted along w/ the cracking. This house was one of many built in a development and put on the market for sale, not custom built for a certain buyer. It is BRAND FREAKEN NEW!!!!!!!!!! Not even a yr old and already cracked drywall and nail/screw pops!??? Seems to me they did the fast work for a fast profit and it isn't working out for them so now they are renting it!! Also the trim is that cheap stuff from lowes that is the standard white!! I hate to pick apart this house, but if I were looking to buy it these are the things I would pick out. Also, to buy a 300k house and not have a granite countertop!! The top in the kitchen is the cheap stuff!! It is just unreal!! Well, I hope all goes well. I told him I am no pro but I do, do a pretty good job.
I am doing the primer tomorrow so hoping to have the 2 coats of paint done by sat. night. I doubt it but it is wishful thinking. I don't want my weekend to be a total loss. I know I am getting paid, but it is time away from my great wife and amazing 16 month old!!! THANKS GUYS!!

Old 11-09-07, 10:00 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
a decent estimate for paint use if you know the floor footage is:

(Floor Sq Ft X 2.8) / 350

the 2.8 will tell you about how much drywall is required for the room. the 350 is what I use as an estimate for coverage per gallon. This has gotten me within 2 gallons over a very large house. of course this is for one coat.

Old 11-09-07, 07:01 PM
Well, it is going great so far! I have the one room all primed and ready to paint and the other room is all cut in. Took me 4.5 hours so far. I still have to roll the 2nd room w/ primer and then 2 coats of paint on each room. I am hoping that one coat paint and the primer will be enough to cover the old paint but I am thinking nope!! I will take pics tomorrow. The previous painter is CRAP!!!!!!! Paint all over the baseboard and ceiling!!! The dr. I am doing this for stopped in to look at it and so far he is very happy. He is getting ready to start looking for land to build a new house. Wish I had half his money!! LOL
So far the estimating of primer is I'll have about 1 gal left over. When we bought it I told them 2 gal primer and 3 gal paint. I got 3 of each!!! Didn't notice that until tonight. Also I think I will need 1 more gal of paint. The one room alone is 400 sq. ft so if I do 2 coats that is 2 gal right?! If one gal does 400 sq! The other room is about 350 sq.

Is this normal? : New house less than a yr old, never been occupied and the drywall is cracked about 10 different places, and also about 25 nail pops in just the 2 areas I am painting?? If so I will never build a new house!! I know the house settles but cmon. WOW

Well thanks again!!!!!

Old 11-10-07, 04:39 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 226 Votes on 201 Posts
Quality of construction can vary greatly between builders. The price of the home doesn't necessarily correspond with the quality of workmanship. I've painted for high dollar builders that had some shoddy workmanship and a few builders that only built cheap litttle houses but the work was top notch. While most new homes are painted by pros [even then you have the good and bad] some builders elect to have their employees paint which often results in less than proffessional workmanship.

All that said, if a house sits empty without the HVAC running, you can have problems with drywall and carpet/wood because of the uncontrolled heat and humidity.

Unless the primer was tinted, you can bring un opened gallons back for a refund.

It is a little hard to estimate how much paint by just the floor footage. Height of the walls and number of openings can be a big factor. Texture or lack of can also make a slight difference.

Old 11-10-07, 07:47 PM
Well, the 2 rooms are done. The red room took 2 coats of primer b/c of bleeding through and a coat of paint, and the green took 1 coat of primer and 2 coats of paint. Don't know why I did it like that but primer is cheaper to use than the paint. Looks great though! I surprised myself! The Dr. is very happy, and now wants me to do another room!! Time away from my little guy, but I am making extra money. I am doing that tomorrow. Also going to lowes so he can pick out handrails for the stairway and stain. Must me nice to just go store to store and buy stuff you need and want on a whim w/ CASH!!!!!! Hell I am using the 0% interest, that is what I go by when I can and cannot buy stuff!! LOL
I found out that the house was just completed late sept to early oct!! I know all those factors come into effect with the drywall but over a month to month and a half time frame. Heat is set at 65.
This house is about a 2500-3k sq ft. house 4 bed 3 bath. Its in a development, but the contractor obviously put the cheap stuff in to make a bigger profit. Even the appliances are cheap white fridgedare.
To figure out the sq. ft., don't you take the height and length of the wall?? That is what I did. I didn't take into considerations the doors/windows and stuff b/c its nice to have extra to touch up. I have 3/4 gal. left over.
Thanks again