Ceiling stain bleeding through one coat of Kilz

Old 11-09-07, 09:08 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ceiling stain bleeding through one coat of Kilz

Okay- 3 years ago we had a leak due to some flashing being ripped up around the chimney. We repaired the damage at the time but didn't repair the ceiling paint. I finally started working on it, scraped away the peeling paint, applied one coat of Kilz oil based spray on the stain. Then about 15 minutes later (it said 15 mins to dry) I put on the first coat of spackle. I let that dry and didn't get back to it for a week and now I notice the stain is coming through.

I don't know if this means that after 3 years it is still wet or if I didn't use enough of the spray on Kilz. It was a pretty dark stain and it hasn't bled through all the areas I worked on just where it was darkest.

After the initial stain 3 years ago the ceiling didn't continue to add new stains or get darker, there didn't seem to be any further damage and was dry to the touch- the paint and plaster seemed to fly right off when I was scraping.

I just haven't heard of a stain going through the oil based kilz spray before- then again maybe I should have used more than one coat?

Help

Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-07, 09:46 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 301 Votes on 267 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

You probably didn't apply enough kilz. often it is harder to apply a heavy enough coat with a spray can - one of the reasons are rarely use it in rattle can form.

Assuming the leak was repaired, I doubt you have any moisture issues other than the lefftover stain. Extra stubborn stains may require pigmented shellac to seal them - but I'd try more kilz first - especially if you still have some

Old 11-09-07, 02:37 PM
S
Kilz not thick enough, or stain bad enough to warrant BIN (stronger sealer)

Old 11-09-07, 04:50 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
You're going to have to prime again after the spackle anyway, I'd do it with the BIN, but I'm partial to Zinsser primers.

Old 11-26-07, 11:08 AM
S
Such a relief to read your responses!!

I am happy to get another primer- whatever they have at the hardware store- either the zinzzer or bin.

Thank you all so much- I was really worried after reading the kilz website and can, that the stain couldn't be covered.

I sanded and did a second coat of spackle last night, and I am off to the store for a different brand of primer. More than one coat this time, too!

Old 11-27-07, 03:44 AM
S
Note that BIN is a Zinsser product not a different brand of primer.

Also don't just choose another brand of primer simply to get something different as you might end up with another lower end product.Consult knowledgeable sales help and avoid purchasing at big box retailers.

Generally speaking Zinsser products are superior to Kilz.Kilz seems to have a higher name recognition which has led to a somewhat false image of being a better or superior product line.As a retailer I would classify Kilz as an "average or adequate" product line that has difficulty with more than average situations.

Old 11-27-07, 07:10 PM
S
Originally Posted by spdavid View Post
I would classify Kilz as an "average or adequate" product line that has difficulty with more than average situations.
Well said
It works well at what it does, just don't ask it to do too much