Paint and Moldings

Old 11-13-07, 11:58 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Paint and Moldings

Hi,
I have a 4 Br/2.5 Ba colonial that is about 2300 sq ft. I am looking into having the interior painted, and having all the moldings replaced..here is an outling...

Rooms to be painted:
4 bedrooms
2.5 bathrooms
living room
family room
kitchen
dining room
two hallways (upper and lower)

I want to replace baseboard and crown moldings in the living room, family room, kitchen and dining rooms

and replace baseboard moldings in 4 bedrooms, halways, 2.5 bathrooms.

I also want to replace all of the interior doors (11 doors) and redo the moldings around the windows and around the fireplace.

I currently have painted white moldings that were most likely installed by an amateur since there are gaps, pieces are cut wrong, and the crown moldings on the first floor are upside down.

I want to put in stained moldings/doors. We like the natural wood look, but we dont need any extravagant designs.

I know it is probably hard to tell but is there anyone that could estimate a potential cost for this, or possibly a cost per room for the moldings/painting cost per door, cost per window...we are trying to save some money for this and are just looking for a ball park...

Thank you...

PS.
The house is in Northwest New Jersey, near E. Stroudsburg PA if it makes a difference...

Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-07, 12:41 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 301 Votes on 267 Posts
I'm not sure if anyone could give a even a ballpark figure price, sight unseen. Not to mention that labor prices [and overhead] can vary greatly between regions. There can also be big differences in the price of different types of moulding.

It would be best to have all loose mouldings and the prehung doors [or slabs] to be stained and atleast 1 coat of sealer applied before installation. The final coat of varnish/poly should be applied after installation with all the nail holes filled with colored putty.

As always it is best to get multiple estimates and CHECK references. You might find a contractor that will take on both aspects of the job [carpentry and painting] but it is also possible you may need to hire each seperately. If going this route it would be good to have a carpenter and painter that have worked well together in the past - that way one can't say "that's not my job, talk to the other sub".

Old 11-14-07, 04:44 PM
This is the kind of work I do all the time. If I were you find a contractor that will do it all. There are certain steps in a certain order that make it all work out in your favor (cost and quality). I should say that your number one concern is all this work done right. Generally in life......YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR! <p>All this old removal is going to cause a great deal of preparation to the walls. This sounds like a $10,000 job without blinking. Maybe....plus all materials. But sight unseen is only a guess.

Old 11-14-07, 05:00 PM
D
Just as a side note: If you want to save some money, why don't you paint yourself and maybe perhaps replace the baseboards yourself?-if it's possible and if you have time and energy. <<<---I know whomever you decide to hire will not like it but...it saves ya money.

I believe I've seen door installation costs from inside a big box store...the sign said something like $150. My partner has done it for $50/per door but that was b/c he did their crown and base mouldings so he gave them a good deal. At least around here it is.