primer - texture questions

Old 11-15-07, 12:42 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
primer - texture questions

Hello, I am new to the forum, and would like to thank everyone for providing such great info on sites like these.

I had a few quick questions. Here’s my scenario;

We currently have latex semi-gloss walls, and some new sheet rock going up on a few walls in our house. We are getting the whole house shot with orange peel texture after everything has been smoothed out, and the new sheetrock has been put into place.

So my questions are:

- What type of primer should I use before the texturizing? Oil based or latex (I will be painting the top coat with latex). Also, are there any particular primers that you all recommend? I was thinking about going with the Zinsser line.

- Also, I know I have to prime the walls after the texture goes up, so will I be able to use the same type of primer for that purpose?

- Lastly, the house is a duplex, and I can hear the neighbors through a shared wall. I checked online and it mentioned to double up sheetrock in order to subdue the sound. Is that a good idea, if not, what else can you recommend.

Thanks in advance,
-Dev

Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-07, 01:07 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 301 Votes on 267 Posts
Welcome to the forums Dev

I don't normally prime the walls under the texture. The semi-gloss walls should be scuff sanded before texture but IMO it doesn't need a primer first.

Zinnser makes many fine primers although I usually use the store brand because of pricing. A latex wall primer will be fine.

Insulation does the best job of sound deadening. I don't know if a 2nd layer of rock will have much effect or not. Many local regs require a double layer of drywall, joints staggered to meet fire code on common walls.

Old 11-15-07, 02:23 PM
D
Thanks for the great info marksr.

Not having to primer before texture will save time and money, so I def like that idea.

My one remaining question would be - since some of the new sheetrock will be going up in a room with existing semi-gloss walls, is there an advantage in priming that room as opposed to the whole house. I just want to make sure the surfaces (bare walls and semi-gloss) will be similar so that the texture will go on and dry as uniform as possible.

Thanks.

Old 11-15-07, 03:11 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 301 Votes on 267 Posts
The texture will dry quicker over the unpainted rock but after all the texture is dried, primed and painted there shouldn't be a noticable difference.

Old 11-15-07, 06:23 PM
S
Doubling up on sheetrock will help block sound
As will any mass added

If you are considering adding another layer of rock, I can heartily recommend a layer of Mass Loaded Vinyl on top of the existing, and under the new layer
It works wonders

Heavy in mass, only 1/8 of an inch thick, and with the sound blocking of about another layer of sheetrock, you can make quite a difference in sound transmission

A nice Rock/MLV/Rock sandwich works very well

(Images courtesy of Acoustics First)

Old 11-15-07, 11:56 PM
D
Thanks Slick, good info...I'll def look into the MLV.

Old 11-16-07, 08:45 AM
D
Originally Posted by slickshift View Post
If you are considering adding another layer of rock, I can heartily recommend a layer of Mass Loaded Vinyl on top of the existing, and under the new layer
It works wonders
Where would I find MLV at? I live in San Jose, Ca, and my project would require it tomorrow morning.

Old 11-16-07, 09:00 AM
S
..that, I can't answer
I get mine from Acoustics First, but it's in the SE US and shipped to me
Tomorrow would be pretty quick, you'll need to find someplace local that stocks it
Try the local Builders Supply places, lumberyards and such