Catalytic Heaters

Old 11-24-07, 10:18 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Catalytic Heaters

Can a catatytic heater be safely used in a closed workspace where volatile paint vapors are present? I am using a fresh air mask in a closed environment. I am applying an acrylic urethane paint and need to have ambient air temperature to be at least 60F degrees.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-07, 03:31 PM
C
I trust that your fresh air mask and other clothing is suitable for such a hostile environment. Generally speaking, volatile materials ignite in the presence of open flame or spark. A hot surface may ignite them if the temperature is sufficient.

Referring to the MSDS for this product will give you the information you need on ignition sources as well as other guidelines for safety. The vendor of this product should have the MSDS, else contact the manufacturer for this valuable information.

Hope this helps.

Old 11-24-07, 04:51 PM
S
If it is the propane type catalytic heater then the short answer is no

The pilot flame is a danger around certain types of products with flammable vapors

I can't say if yours is one of those product, but I suspect it is

If that's the case, you may need to heat the space before the application, then shut off the source during application
Or use a different heat source

Old 11-24-07, 08:53 PM
I've never seen a catalytic propane heater with a pilot -- you must be talking about more expensive ones? I have a couple catalytic heaters, the kind used for camping. They seem safe enough in general but not sure I'd use them with fumes in a completely closed environment.

Old 11-25-07, 04:02 AM
Super Moderator
Received 35 Votes on 33 Posts
Absolutely do not use a catalytic heater in a closed room.

The instructions for these specifically state that you need a fresh air opening in the room.
They are also not to be used unattended which would mean that if you did open a window to use it you should not leave while the paint is drying.

A problem you would have with this type of heater is that because the heater will give off moisture the paint may not dry properly.

Can you not use a plug in portable electric heater?

Old 11-25-07, 04:50 AM
S
Originally Posted by core View Post
I've never seen a catalytic propane heater with a pilot...
I could have the wrong words
It's a propane powered ceramic tile heater I was thinking of
I thought they were considered "catalytic"
I certainly could be wrong there

(image courtesy of Mr. Heater)

Old 11-25-07, 05:45 AM
I don't know for sure, slickshift, but no way in heck would I call the one in that photo a catalytic. The glow gives it away right there. And you did say it was ceramic. Catalytic heaters use platinum and do not glow red hot like that photo. Here's the first photo I found of one:

GregH: You correctly stated that the heater will give off moisture but did not say anything about the ignition point of these fumes. The elements in a 1500W electic heater that you were suggesting would get WAY hotter than the catalytic heater. The moisture is the least of his/her worries here.

And of course the reason to be cautious with the catalytic in a closed room is only because it consumes and requires oxygen. I'm sure the OP understands that.