Painting over (old) wallpaper

Old 11-25-07, 07:12 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Painting over (old) wallpaper

I have 1970's wall paper covering (almost) every wall surface in my house. I've tried to take some of the paper off and have found it to be very difficult. Is there a way that I can prime & seal and then paint over this wall paper?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-07, 03:24 AM
S
It's not a good idea to paint over wallpaper
The chances of complete failure are high

Unless the wallpaper was put right onto sheetrock w/o primer and sizing, and removing it is pulling and tearing down the sheetrock

Old 11-26-07, 04:01 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 291 Votes on 259 Posts
I agree!! You could coat the paper with a solvent base primer but that would make it even more difficult to remove later. It is almost always best to remove the paper, repair any damage done to the wall, prime and paint.

p.s. - welcome to the forums!

Old 11-26-07, 04:04 AM
B
if you absolutely must paint the wall paper, i.e. it is pulling the paper on the drywall off, then you can. but slickshift is right, if you can get the wallpaper off do it.

to paint over wallpaper use an oil based stain killing primer, like Cover Stain from Zinnsser, maybe do two coats. then hope that the latex paint you put on does not seep back to the glue, reactivate it and cause everything to fall off the wall, I have seen this happen before.

Old 11-26-07, 05:01 PM
NOT recommended!! The primers itself will sure to cause some areas to bubble. <p>Is the front of the paper coming off leaving the paper backing behind? Or is it peeling in very small pieces? There are a few things you need to try for best results. The best remover I ever used is "DIF" concentrate!! Don't use there ready mixed jell make sure it is the concentrate. Buy a garden sprayer for 30 bucks. Use warm/hot water mixed with the DIF. Spray an entire room making sure all doors/windows closed. You will need the humidity. Keep spraying for about 20 minutes to 40 minutes. You will need drop cloths to absorb the water. Don't let it dry. Then try to remove it starting at the bottom. Worst case. You need to use a 4" razor scraper and shave off the front. This is best done when the surface is dry. This tool works best after the razor dulls a bit. Then proceed with the spraying. Make sure to use outside grill pads to remove the glue. Get 99.9% of it as it will haunt you later.