splotches in a new latex paint job

Old 11-29-07, 05:17 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
splotches in a new latex paint job

I cut out a section of drywall, retaped, filled, sanded, primed, and painted. When all finished there was irregularities in the texture. I'm using Sherwin Williams Super paint satin, most looks satin, but certain spots look flat when you look at it at an angle. I thought that it was confined to the placed where I recently jointed but it is not. I repainted the entire area and I have the same thing only in different areas! I mixed the paint real well, I don't get it! Any advice?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-07, 05:47 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
Might be the application - how did you put it on, what kinds of brushes and rollers did you use?

Old 11-29-07, 06:09 PM
H
The wall is smooth, no texture. I used a smooth texture roller, one with almost no nap. The brush was nothing special and was used only for edging, there was no issue around the edge, I rolled over it to get a uniform texture. The problem seemed to show up randomly in the large field. I used a brand new can of 123 primer on it first, coated the new joint mud twice, then primed the entire wall all at once after that. The paint is Sherwin Williams Super Paint, mixed well. The drywall came from Lowes and it is actually rougher than my sanded joints, I wanted a little orange peal to make it uniform.

Old 11-29-07, 10:11 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
I'd try another coat with a higher nap roller. Most here will tell you 3/8-1/2", I like the stipple left behind by a 3/4" nap. Keep the roller wet, don't try to get all the paint out of it. Always work with a wet edge on your paint, don't try to go back over an area where the paint has had a chance to dry.

Old 11-30-07, 04:04 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 296 Votes on 262 Posts
I'd try a larger nap, if that doesn't do it, it is likely an illusion caused by different wall 'texture'

Old 11-30-07, 06:18 PM
The roller is very important. I would be pulling my hair out painting with those "barrel sale rollers" for a few bucks. A quality lambswool 3/4 or more using plenty of paint should do it like explained by mitch17. The roller you explained is a recipe for disaster!