painted cast iron hot water baseboards

Old 12-04-07, 06:12 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
my husband and I purchased our house in spring and renovated the entire house. Its 55 years old and has cast iron hot water baseboard units. They were peeling with layers of paint we were going to rip them out and replace them with new aluminum baseboards but everyone said we were crazy that cast iron is great for retaining heat. So we sanded them down (where they were peeling) and hit the paint dept for the hundreth time they recommended Rustoleum satin enamel. I applied 3 coats to the heaters. Our heat has been on now for about a month and a half I had painted them white and they are yellowing a bit and the real reason I'm writing they are still giving off a slight odor. They get very hot. The boiler temp shows 180-190 when firing im assuming the baseboard units themselves dont get hotter than that. The cans of paint say not to heat over 212 I'm just concerned that this smell will continue whether its toxic or not or if its normal to have a slight odor for awhile. Was this the right paint to use for cast iron hot water baseboards? Thanks in advance for any input
worried mom in ny!

my husband and I purchased our house in spring and renovated the entire house. Its 55 years old and has cast iron hot water baseboard units. They were peeling with layers of paint we were going to rip them out and replace them with new aluminum baseboards but everyone said we were crazy that cast iron is great for retaining heat. So we sanded them down (where they were peeling) and hit the paint dept for the hundreth time they recommended Rustoleum satin enamel. I applied 3 coats to the heaters. Our heat has been on now for about a month and a half I had painted them white and they are yellowing a bit and the real reason I'm writing they are still giving off a slight odor. They get very hot. The boiler temp shows 180-190 when firing im assuming the baseboard units themselves dont get hotter than that. The cans of paint say not to heat over 212 I'm just concerned that this smell will continue whether its toxic or not or if its normal to have a slight odor for awhile. Was this the right paint to use for cast iron hot water baseboards? Thanks in advance for any input
worried mom in ny!

Last edited by stickshift; 12-05-07 at 04:06 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-07, 06:36 PM
Cast Iron baseboards might be able to be run a bit cooler, say in the 170 degree maximum range--perhaps Grady will chime in. Generally the CI baseboard heats both by convection and radiation. If you went to the fintube baseboard, you'd need considerably hotter water temps, and the heating would be by convection only. You were very, very wise to stay with the CI baseboard.

I suspect the oils in the Rustoleum will outgas for a while, and being winter with the home closed up the odor will probably seem worse than it is. You probably should contact Rustoleum directly (via email or an 800 number) and ask them if there are health risks in breathing the fumes. Or, they may have suggetions on how to reduce the problem, or be able to give you some idea how long the outgassing will continue as the product hardens and cures. Oil based paint is the preferred method for covering cast iron, and I am pretty sure they do make a less volitile product for that purpose. I know, too late now One option you may have is having the high limit on the boiler turned down to 170 degrees by your service company.

Old 12-04-07, 10:00 PM
H
I have a neighbor who has the same style rads and painted with Rustoleum too. I consulted him when I painted mine. He said they stunk the first month or so, then only the first time they warmed up for the season thereafter.

Based on his experience I sprayed mine with Dupont Centauri auto paint. No smell at all. Worked wonderfully but I had to haul them out to work on them as some needed to be stripped too.

While I'm not a chemist, I'd guess the really nasty stuff has passed.

Old 12-05-07, 03:44 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 301 Votes on 267 Posts
painted cast iron hot water baseboards

Welcome to the forums!

It has been a long time since I've painted any radiators, back in the day we used to almost always use high temp aluminum paint. White oil base enamel is bad to yellow over time.

Whenever I have a painting project where I'm not familiar with the best coating to use I always ask the paint rep at the store [a real paint store, not dept] While a paint store might have higher prices, they do have more knowledgeable help and a better selection of coatings, especially quality coatings. Big box stores typically only carry the cheaper paints and their help usually don't know a lot about the products.

Old 12-05-07, 03:52 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
I would try the local paint store to see what they would recommend for the job. If it's different than what you used, I'd then tell them what happened and ask what they'd do to fix it.

Old 12-05-07, 04:54 PM
Now you have no choice but to wait the smell out. It will subside sooner or later. Otherwise a complete stripping with the proper coating for radiators would be in order in the spring.

Old 12-05-07, 05:12 PM
S
thanks for all your replys and advice unfortunatly I wouldn't even begin to know how to strip them they are one piece units built into the walls and we put in all new hardwood floors so I dont know if you can strip them while they are still attached to the walls? They really have been nothing but a pain from day one. Thank you all for your advice though Happy holidays!

Old 12-30-07, 09:50 AM
M
1954 cast iron radiators

I'm so glad I found these posts - I bought my 1st house with built in the wall cast iron radiators. I stripped 3 of them without removing them using 2 products (Ready Strip and Peel Away # 6.
Both worked the same and both claim to to non toxic. The Ready Strip says no smell but it does SMELL. The Peel Away does a little but not as bad. Definitely do it when you can open the windows.

So heres my issue as the last poster. I got most of the paint off mine down to bare metal. I asked everyone about what to use and everyone had a different opinion...even the experts don't agree.

For the 2 in my bedroom, I choose to spray paint with Rust Oleum Clean Metal Primer since the metal was visible. BIG MISTAKE!!! NEVER SPRAY inside the house....such a bad move on my part.

I though the spray would get inside the <1 inches holes better/faster then me using a small brush. Anyway, I realized spray didnt work well and the smell is horrendous!

I switched to Sherwin Williams Acrylic Enamel Primer and coated over the Rust Oleum and got all the spots the spray missed, and then painted with Sherwin Williams Acrylic Enamel High Gloss Paint. I waited 4 days before turning the heat on...that was 3.5 weeks ago and they still smell just as bad! I'm so frustrated and ready to strip them but winter is here so not the best time.

Here's the funny part. On the bathroom radiator, I did NOT use Rust Oleum at all because of how bad it smelled spraying the bedroom, but I did use the same Sherwin Williams Products, and the bathroom one does NOT smell as bad as the bedrooms. GD Rust Oleum!

I just cranked the 'oil" heat up to 70 but closed off indvidual radiators. Cool feature with these old ones. I'm so mad I used Rust Oleum.

Oh, and I tested my radiators to see how hot they get by placing an outside thermometer directly on them...they max out at about 135 F degrees.

Hope this helps others...bottom line, it seems that regular latex works just fine....but am open to hearing about other ideas since I have 9 more radiators to redo....lol...money pit!