Cutting in when priming ceilings and walls

Old 12-05-07, 06:05 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Cutting in when priming ceilings and walls

I am in the process of finishing my basement, the drywall is all hung and taped, and I am getting ready to prime and paint. I have a few questions:

--Is cutting the edges of ceilings and walls necessary when applying primer (same primer on walls and ceiling)?

--How many coats of primer are necessary over newly hung drywall?

--Assuming I paint the ceilings before the walls, is cutting in advised when painting the ceiling? Celing color will be white; walls will be other colors.

Thanks in advance

Old 12-05-07, 06:18 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
The way you use the term, I'm not sure what you mean by "cut in." One coat of primer will be fine. Rollers typically apply the best finish to the walls, but it's difficult to get to the edge of the wall with anything but a brush, so you usually "cut in" with a brush on those areas where the roller does not easily cover. Maintaining a wet edge on your paint helps keep the finish even, so one cutting in with a brush while another rolls paint works well. By yourself works, but a little more difficult.

Quality paint is best found at a paint store, not a paint department. Better advice and tools as well.

Old 12-05-07, 07:03 AM
G
Thanks for the reply.

I thought "cut in" is the term used when you use a brush along of one surface where it abuts to another (ie, inside wall corners or where a ceiling meets a wall). I understood that it is done so paint does not spread from one surface to the other, especially when you've got 2 different colors. I wasn't sure if there were other reasons that you do that, but now I understand that there are. Thanks again for that clarification.

Old 12-05-07, 11:02 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
It is quicker to roll the primer first, then cut in. On the finish coat you want to cut in first to maintain the wet edge.

It doesn't hurt anything to get the ceiling paint on the wall, just be sure that it gets smoothed out so it won't show thru the finish coat.

Old 12-05-07, 01:00 PM
G
That's great advice on both counts. I can see that that can make my job a lot easier.

Thanks!

Last edited by marksr; 12-05-07 at 01:04 PM. Reason: removed quote
Old 12-05-07, 05:04 PM
On some jobs priming only with a roller is what i do. But new drywall you want to brush out the corners after you roll the primer like Marksr said. Brush out the ceiling corners with the finish paint getting this paint an inch or two on the walls smoothing it out. When you go to "cut in" the color to the ceiling, take a metal scraper or pencil well after the ceiling has dried and gently make a mark at the corner all around the room. Then brush up and cover the line. This method is most handy when the color of the walls are mid to dark colors. Make sure you do two finish coats!!

Old 12-06-07, 09:01 AM
G
With regard to cutting in AFTER rolling when priming walls and ceilings, should I still be sure that the rolled edge is still wet when use the brush?

Old 12-06-07, 09:03 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
No, in fact it may be better for it to be dry - if the roller leaves much stipple.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: