Paint and archway that divdes kitchen/living room

Old 12-13-07, 10:26 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Paint and archway that divdes kitchen/living room

I have an archway that divides my kitchen from my living room. The arch starts of course in the middle of the two rooms, one side of the wall is the kitchen wall and the other side of the wall is the wall to the stairwell.

The living room and kitchen are painted the same color, and the arch is white. The wall that is connected to the arch in the kitchen is white. I hate it. I want all my kitchen walls to be the same color.

I want to paint the kitchen but don't know what to do w/ the arch.

I want to paint my stairwell but don't know what to do w/ the arch.

So my question is what side do I paint what color? Do I leave it white, along w/ the wall in the kitchen? Can I paint the arch two different colors? I have searched these forums and can't find any help. Please let someone be my paint muse and solve all my problems!

Much appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-07, 03:19 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 300 Votes on 266 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

I'm not 100% certain I understand the location of your arch
Generally it looks best to paint the arch and surrounding walls all the same color. If the arch stands alone and the 2 rooms are different colors, the arch should be painted the color of the room from which it is most visable.

It sounds like your arch may be intergraded into 1 or more walls, if so, this does make for a challenge. I've never been fond of painting an arch multiple colors. When I must, I'll paint the majority of the arch with whichever wall color looks best and the wall the arch runs into, I'll paint that wall color, picking a point where the arch dies into the wall as the spot to change colors.

hope this helps