Correct roller nap when priming?

Old 12-21-07, 12:59 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Correct roller nap when priming?

I have new drywall that I'm about to paint. I was planning on priming with BM Regal Premium Interior Latex Primer. What is the correct roller nap to use?

Also, what is the best way to get the compound dust off the walls?

Also, I see some rollers have yellow covers and others have white covers. Is there a difference in quality between them? Which is the better one to use when priming?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-07, 01:06 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 301 Votes on 267 Posts
Personally I detest using any roller cover that isn't 100% lambs wool. They are expensive but will last a long time if used properly. Don't use/buy a bargain basement cover - they tend to shed into the paint/wall

The size nap to use is usually dictated by the surface to be rolled, the rougher the surface, the bigger the nap you need. Larger naps also tend to hold more paint/primer. 1/2" - 3/4" is usually appropriate for most sheetrock walls.

I usually take a push broom [minus handle] to sweep off the dust. Some will use a rag or a vacumn.

Old 12-21-07, 02:07 PM
G
Originally Posted by marksr View Post
Personally I detest using any roller cover that isn't 100% lambs wool. They are expensive but will last a long time if used properly.
What is "proper use" that will help the roller last a long time?

[QUOTE=marksr;1280873]Don't use/buy a bargain basement cover - they tend to shed into the paint/wall

Other than the price tag, how can I tell a quality roller (versus a poor roller that is merely overpriced)? Other than lambs wool, what should I be looking for?

Old 12-21-07, 03:46 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 301 Votes on 267 Posts
First off, don't buy a roller cover [or paint ] at a big box. Shop at a real paint store. They can give you good advice both on the best coating for you and roller and brush choice.

A lambswool cover will wear out quicker if you try to squeeze every drop unto the wall/ceiling. It can also be worn on 1 side from uneven pressure. Correct rolling technique and good cleaning will allow a lambs wool cover to last a long time. They are among the priciest covers.

The real cheap covers don't hold [or disperse] paint well and leave fuzz in the paint. The majority of roller covers for sale at a big box are of this variety.

Old 12-21-07, 05:30 PM
S
Quality Tool for a Quality Job

The color is generally not an indicator per say, though I'd recommend a Purdy White Dove (synthetic and white) as a minimum quality
The next steps up, the 50/50 wool/poly, and the 100% wool tend to be a "straw" or "beige" type yellow
The real bright yellows tend to be cheapos
Best to read the label though

The best drywall dust remover I've found is a dry-type Swiffer
I've used them professionally for years
The ones on sticks (long handles) make quick work of the job

Old 12-21-07, 07:31 PM
G
Thanks to both replies.

Originally Posted by marksr View Post
First off, don't buy a roller cover [or paint ] at a big box. Shop at a real paint store. They can give you good advice both on the best coating for you and roller and brush choice.
I had read this advice on this forum before (possibly written by you), so I bought my primer and paint from a real paint store. But the clerk who hepled me was a young fellow (maybe 20 y.o.). While he may have known his stuff, I did't get a strong feeling that he had a lot of expertise; he was too tentative in his responses.

That's why I came back to the site to get confirmation that I got the right stuff. He initially picked out the contractor grade primer (I told him I wanted the premium stuff). He picked out the rollers for me. They say "Professional Quality," but they don't say what they're made of. I picked up a 3M Microfiber cloth and I asked him if it would work to get the drywall dust. He didn't seem to have much of a clue about it. He suggested I use a damp rag on the dust. This didn't seem like sensible advice.

By the way, is the BM Regal Premium Interior Latex Primer a better choice for new drywall than BM's Wall Grip Primer? What do the pros generally use on new drywall

Last edited by GaetanoL; 12-21-07 at 07:35 PM. Reason: corrected quote
Old 12-22-07, 04:01 AM
S
Originally Posted by GaetanoL View Post
By the way, is the BM Regal Premium Interior Latex Primer a better choice for new drywall than BM's Wall Grip Primer? What do the pros generally use on new drywall
That's just fine...a good choice
I didn't know BM had a "Wall Grip"
I've not heard of that, nor know anyone who uses it

Old 12-22-07, 05:02 AM
G
Originally Posted by slickshift View Post
...I didn't know BM had a "Wall Grip" I've not heard of that, nor know anyone who uses it
Here's the link:

http://www.benjaminmoore.com/bmpsweb...h_findproducts

Old 12-22-07, 06:19 PM
S
For primer, I'd go with a bulk-pack of 3/8 Purdy White Dove's. With how cheap covers are, compared with everything else you need, there is no reason to go with anything less.

To remove the dust... I vacuum with my cheapo shop-vac, and then run a tack cloth over the walls to get the rest.

I got one of those microfiber cloths and wasn't too impressed. (It wasn't 3M though.)

SirWired

Old 12-22-07, 08:36 PM
I would never ever use anything else for drywall in any situation then lambswool. I use regular lambswool 1 inch for primers and 1 1/4 inch of the KNITTED lambswool by Wooster on all finish coats. This latter one will really be about one inch after the first use. It holds way the most paint and backrolls the paint to the correct stipple. <p>

Me and my help would pull our hair out trying to paint with the "3 for $5 package" deals.

Old 12-23-07, 09:30 PM
Originally Posted by GaetanoL View Post
Wall Grip is used primarily for underneath new wallcoverings. In short, its formulated for priming for wallpaper.