paint and plaster question

Old 01-01-08, 11:54 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
paint and plaster question

i have a problem with the plaster on my bedroom walls. during the summer, i assume it is the humidity, the plaster bubbles up. these are very large areas, sometimes a few feet across, and quite deep when the plaster is removed. how can i resolve this problem. Should i be using a moisture barrier paint or a latex that allows the paint to breath. i've heard various suggestions.

Old 01-01-08, 05:10 PM
S
If you've got bubbled up plaster and big soft foot long bubbles of it that can be scraped off, that's a plaster issue then
There's no paint that will help

Old 01-01-08, 06:10 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
Is there any evidence of moisture coming thru the wall from the exterior?

btw - welcome to the forums!

Old 01-04-08, 08:41 PM
R
This is an old apartment building, and i have had the bubbling for many years, i'm getting tired of it. The plaster has been removed in several places and repaired, then i paint over it and then usually within a year the bubbling appears again. it is quite often the same wall, but not always the same spot. once i was told that when the building was built they put too much lime in the plaster, but over the years, i swear that i have had most of the wall replastered. i do not believe that there are any leaks that are causing it. it is an interior wall. i think that it is the humidity. i thought that a moisture barrier paint would keep the bubbles away, but before i try that, i was wondering if maybe the paint or plaster needs to breath.

Old 01-05-08, 05:46 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Is just the paint peeling or is some of the plaster coming off with it?

Old 01-05-08, 08:23 AM
What layers are bubbling? The primer/paint, 1/8 inch smooth plaster, rough plaster? Under this...is it wood slats or drywall lathe?

Old 01-08-08, 04:15 PM
R
the plaster is bubbling under the paint. it is bulging out. there is a cement wall behind the plaster. the plaster seems to be lifting off. the plaster bulges out and cracks. it would fall off if i broke it. so far it has remained intact. this is an internal wall. i am quite sure that there is no moisture coming from the cement wall behind. the bulges only appear in the summer months when the humidity is high. the bulges do not go down when the temperatures outside cool down. i am quite sure that the last time i used a water based paint. someone told me that the paint needs to breath . i thoought that a moisture barrier paint might stop this problem, but i wanted to check a few sources to see what anyone thought.

Old 01-08-08, 05:55 PM
Is this a cinder block wall that separates another home like in townhouse? Do you see the cement wall after this stuff breaks loose?

Old 01-12-08, 12:44 AM
it's not the plaster

The problem could very well be that the cement wall behind the plaster is getting moisture, and the moister wants to leave. Is the cement wall an outside wall? Are the bubbles near the bottom of the wall? Lime loves water, and it will actually suck moisture out of cement or the air. If it's good plaster then it will do it's job and allow the moisture to evaporate off the surface microscopically. The solution is to remove the plaster ...yuck and redo the entire wall by either using drywall and starting over again or use a plaster that can tolerate a cement wall as a substrate using a penetrating primer that can tolerate the ph13 in cement like you can get at any paint or home builders store, and then use an natural lime plaster. This should eliminate the problem.

Old 01-16-08, 03:29 PM
R
it is a poured cement wall between the living room and the bedroom. it is an inside wall. the living room has a similar problem over 10 years ago. practically all of the wall was replaced with new plaster. the bulges are all over, sometimes high and some times low. The bulges are even appearing where the wall was replastered before in the bedroom. There have not been any new bulges in the livingroom. now i have a new bulge on the other bedroom wall that is shared with the apartment next door. i know that it will need to be replastered, but i was wondering if i should use a moisture barrier paint or a regular latex paint that would let the wall breathe?

Old 01-16-08, 03:45 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
You would probably be better off with a paint that will allow the wall to breathe. Can you identify where the moisture is getting into the concrete wall?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: