Cinder Block Yard Walls - Staining?

Old 01-03-08, 09:07 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cinder Block Yard Walls - Staining?

I have close to 500 linear feet of unfinished/raw cinder block walls in my backyard which, needless to say, are ugly and bland. Since I live in Tucson, I am hoping I can stain (instead of paint, which has a VERY short lifespan here!) the walls. Any input/suggestions? Would I need to block seal the block? Is concrete stain even practical for block? I am hoping to kinda-sorta make the block look like the rest of the slump block walls which were original to the house...

Any and all input appreciated!

pieper

Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-08, 05:35 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 294 Votes on 261 Posts
Cinder block is too porous for a concrete stain to be a viable option. I suppose a latex house stain would color the block ok. Spraying the stain would probably be the best way to go. If you prime with blockfill, you might as well use paint for a finish - it would probably last longer than a stain would over top of blockfill.

Old 01-04-08, 05:41 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sherwin Williams Exterior Duration on this brick would last. I am from Chicago and we have ALL extreme weather here. This paint should last. It is the greatest exterior paint I have used. It has been around for 8 years. You should get at minimum 5 years if not 7.

Old 01-05-08, 06:08 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 294 Votes on 261 Posts
I would add

If you use paint, blockfill is the required primer AND both sides of the wall should be painted!! Top too! This will prevent moisture from getting behind the paint = early failure.