Flat paint/Semi-gloss paint

Old 01-13-08, 12:42 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Flat paint/Semi-gloss paint

I'm painting raw pine shelves for my bathroom and would like to use left over paint. The paint is a flat base. Is there something I can add to the paint to give it a sheen? Or would a clear coat be the best way to go, and if so, suggestions on what kind of clear coat I should use.

Old 01-13-08, 01:40 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

There really isn't anything you can add to paint to give it more sheen. Applying a poly or varnish over flat will give it the sheen of the poly you use but it isn't really a good practice. It may also change the color of the paint some.

It would be best to use a wood primer or enamel undercoater and then top coat with a quality enamel. Save your leftover flat paint for another project

Old 01-13-08, 03:28 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
I agree with Mark that the best results are to be had by buying paint specific for the job.

Old 01-13-08, 05:04 PM
S
Yup
What they said

Old 01-13-08, 05:32 PM
S
For shelves, don't use paint, use a quality waterbourne enamel. You will get a much tougher finish, and it will be more resistant to sticking to whatever you put on the shelf.

Try SW ProClassic or BM Impervo.

SirWired

Old 01-14-08, 03:35 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
Waterborne coatings aren't paint

I can also highly recomend the use of a waterborne enamel over primer for the shelves, oil base enamel would be my 2nd choice with latex enamel the last.

Old 01-14-08, 08:58 AM
S
Originally Posted by marksr View Post
Waterborne coatings aren't paint

I can also highly recomend the use of a waterborne enamel over primer for the shelves, oil base enamel would be my 2nd choice with latex enamel the last.
Well, I was trying to differentiate between those, and wall coating. Since both major waterbourne acrylic finishes are called "waterbourne enamels", as opposed to "paint", I figured that would help differentiate them from ordinary wall paint.

Of course, technically, ordinary wall paints are "Water-bourne enamels", but they aren't called that yet...

SirWired

Old 01-15-08, 05:07 PM
At the very least I would prime and use a semi gloss paint or waterborn acrylic. I assume the only thing on these shelves would be linen and/or towels? But shelves in a kitchen pantry I would line with "shelve liner". Or better yet cut Formica lined shelving to fit. Then no painting to do.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: