wall prep after old wallpaper is off

Old 01-14-08, 03:35 PM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
wall prep after old wallpaper is off

I have a bedroom that has wallpaper on the walls. I have started to remove the wall paper and when we wallpapered the walls some 10 years ago we first primed the walls before we wallpapered the walls so it would stick better. But now that I am taking down the wallpaper i have noticed that some of the primer has come off the wall with the wallpaper so now I want to paint the walls but there are spots that the primer has come off so now the walls are uneven in some places. My question is how do I fix this? Do I need to just reprime the walls or will this not help? I am lost please help!

Thanks

Robert

Old 01-14-08, 03:57 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
Any places where the drywall paper has been removed should be coated with a solvent based primer first. Then it's a simple matter of filling in the defects with joint compound, sand and recoat with j/c as needed. Don't forget to prime all the repairs when done.

Old 01-14-08, 06:10 PM
R
Ok. that sound like something i can do. What about the places where just the primer comes off and it is uneven but only the thinkness of the primer coat that I put on there to help the wallpaper stick better? I do have some places where the drywall paper has come off but then I have other places where the wallpaper when removed only took off the thickness of the primer. can I just reprime these parts, will this smooth it out or do I need to do as you stated before and use joint compound to smooth it out?

Thanks for the help!

Robert

Old 01-15-08, 03:23 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
It would be best to apply a thin coat of j/c to any areas that might be low. Use a pole sander or sandpaper wrapped around a block of wood - this will allow you to sand everything flat/smooth.

Old 01-15-08, 09:23 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If the drywall paper is damaged, use either the solvent-based primer marksr mentioned, or get some Zinsser Gardz, which is water-based, and does the same thing. (The Zinsser website can tell you who carries it.) After coating the damaged paper, skim coat with joint compound, prime the whole mess, and you will be good to go.

SirWired

Old 01-15-08, 09:57 AM
R
thanks to everyone

Old 01-15-08, 06:11 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I prefer the Gardz, skim coating, sanding, re-priming repair areas, method
Oil based primer rather than Gardz will work well also

Search this Thread

Ask a Question