Paint Brass French Door Insert

Old 01-15-08, 11:12 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Paint Brass French Door Insert

Can I paint a brass french door insert? It is real brass and not a brass plated (since a magnet does not adhere). The 15 lite french door insert and brass between each pane. I'd like to modernize it a bit by painting to an aluminum color instead. Can it be done? Is it cheaper to buy a new insert or even a new door?
Thanks

Old 01-15-08, 05:10 PM
What is wrong with the brass itself? Is it tarnished?

Old 01-15-08, 06:08 PM
S
I know of no paint that will stick to brass for long, especially in this situation
Plating (or re-plating) is the best solution I have found

Old 01-15-08, 06:26 PM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
insert

please post a pic if at all possible. Its prob not brass, but an alloy with a paint finish. At least if its a door built w/in the last 20 yrs. And your post seemed to say it was between the glass? You can order new glass panels, depending on the opening size.

Please reply with material the door is made of, size of glass frame (outside measurement), and manufacturer if poss.

Old 01-15-08, 06:59 PM
S
More info -- glass insert is 15 pieces of glass surrounded by brass

The framing around each piece of glass and around the entire glass is brass coloured. I read that if a magnet does not stick it is solid brass and not brass plated. If you want a picture check out this website
http://www.bairdbrothers.com/mm5/mer...Doors-020Glass
Brass Beveled Glass Doors is the one.
It would be a royal pain to tape to be able to paint anyway. But I was hoping it could be done.

Old 01-16-08, 09:46 AM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
brass

Ahhh Ok swstar,
Now i understand what you have...and unfortunately, i think yer gonna be stuck with it. I used to sell the equivalent door, and replacing just the glass can be a royal, as in ROYAL PITA. Besides which, I ran into suppliers where the glass alone, was only marginally less than a new door.

I also assumed that it was an exterior door, don't know why I did that, but I did.

You might want to check with a local custom leaded glass maker, they may have some options. You might be able to remove the clear finish on the brass caming (thats what the metal dividers are called) and using a chemical turn it to more of a dark bronze finish, if that would be an improvement for you?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: