Airless .015 Tip Max on a .017 primer

Old 01-15-08, 08:05 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Airless .015 Tip Max on a .017 primer

Airless guys,

I have a homeowner Graco Magnum DX that I have used to shoot a couple of rooms. It is rated for a maximum of a .015 tip. I'd like to shoot some SW primer and interior paint with it, but that paint says that I need a rig in the range of a .017-.021.

Is it possible to effectively shoot the paint/primer rated for a bigger rig with the one I have.

If not, what do you all recommend to make it work (chose different paint, thin it, go forth)? I don't want to purchase other rig as this one has about 10 gallons through it.

Last edited by cruiserparts; 01-15-08 at 08:15 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 01-16-08, 03:58 AM
B
your pump will likely burn out if you try to do this all the time. If you do it once, you may be able to get away with it. You most definitely should thin it. the pump is not designed to handle that thick of a product so your pattern will not be very pretty.

You may consider asking the paint store to rent you a pump or go to another store and look at a different primer.

What primer are you looking at shooting? is it a high build? if so, get a bigger pump.

Old 01-16-08, 07:33 AM
C
I was planning on using their harmony series to spray.

I have rolled the promar 200 (and liked it) before and was considering the progreen 200, but that product does not have a green primer. Both suggest a .017 tip. So.....

The harmony series has a primer available, but it requires a .017 tip, but the paint says you can use .015.

I have a higher end graco gun (not the one that came with the dx) with a swivel, and the magnum dx only has a few gallons through it. I really hate to buy a new pump. Perhaps I can try to shoot the harmony primer with it, with slight thinning (any recs on how much), and shoot the harmony paint, which says can go through a .015 tip.

Any thoughts?

Old 01-16-08, 08:08 AM
G
If your backrolling, use a .17 tip in your rig. It will spray "ok", but keep in mind that when I say "ok" I don't mean, don't backroll.

You will have issues of surge, irregular fan patterns, and quite possibly tails or cat eye.

With heavy application, and backrolling, this won't be an issue, as you will be rolling it all out.

The larger tip will simply allow larger particles of paint to be blown out the gun. Primer may or may not be as fine a grind in the mfg process, thus requiring a larger tip to spray effectively.

Honestly though, chances are a .15 tip would work, but be more succeptable to clogging your tip.

If the primer needed a .19 or .21, you would be out of luck.

Harmony isn't a high build, or very viscous like an elastomeric, so you should be ok.

Good Luck!

Old 01-17-08, 02:43 PM
C
Originally Posted by groundbeef View Post
If your backrolling, use a .17 tip in your rig. It will spray "ok", but keep in mind that when I say "ok" I don't mean, don't backroll.

Honestly though, chances are a .15 tip would work, but be more succeptable to clogging your tip.

If the primer needed a .19 or .21, you would be out of luck.

Harmony isn't a high build, or very viscous like an elastomeric, so you should be ok.

Good Luck!
Thanks for everybody's help.

I'll firs try and see if the .15 tip will work and then jump to the .17 if it doesn't.

I was going to start with full strength primer, see how it sprays, and then thin it in steps until it sprays better. I was planning on backrolling either way. What is the maximum i should thin latex with water (per gallon)?

Last edited by cruiserparts; 01-17-08 at 02:43 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-17-08, 03:45 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
Paints will vary some but generally 10% thinner is the max.

Old 01-18-08, 11:01 AM
G
Originally Posted by marksr View Post
Paints will vary some but generally 10% thinner is the max.
Harmony is a Zero VOC, so thinning can be a bit differnent, but I would agree. No more than 10%. It would be best to apply full strength though, and bump up tip size if needed.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: