How to paint the interior and exterior wood front door

Old 01-16-08, 09:39 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to paint the interior and exterior wood front door

Hey guys, lazy me is just going to ask b/c I don't have any time right now for the research. Sorry!

Got new front wood doors. No stain and no paint. Can ya explain the procedures of exterior and interior paint? I want to paint the exterior a dark color and the interior will probably be light. No sanding right? No priming? Obviously I'll use exterior paint for the exterior and interior paint for the interior. Other than that... ...I just want to get it right.

Old 01-16-08, 10:13 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
It's been a while since I've seen a new 'real wood' door painted and not stained or finished natural........ but you will need to use a primer. While it would be best to use an exterior wood primer on the exterior, you should be able to use a quicker drying interior/exterior oil base primer on both sides. DON'T FORGET TO COAT THE TOP AND BOTTOM of the door! Having all 6 edges of the door sealed will let it last longer

You need to lightly sand and dust the door prior to priming. Also sand lightly between coats - this will help both with adhesion and will give a slicker finish

Old 01-16-08, 10:21 AM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
door paint

Hi DIY

Just had to throw my $.02 in. I"m sure you've considered this but.... Are you sure you want a dark color exterior? Hows the sun situation on the door? The color you paint it
can make a huge difference in the expansion and contraction of the door. And you could have more maintenance with a dark color, to keep it looking nice.

Just from personal observations

Old 01-16-08, 10:28 AM
D
No sun what-so-ever The front is covered Very good thinking. I just refuse to have it white or a light color since the exterior of my house is white-ish.

Thanks marksr. I just bought the doors - no hardware, no jambs Had it done DIY-style (BF). It must be finished natural. I don't know what that means but it smooth and I see the wood and there's no paint or stain or anything on it. They're french doors so it should be a breeze (I hope!).

What do you mean by sealing the 6 edges of the door? Seal it...with...?

Does it matter what type of paint to use? As long as it says "exterior" I should be fine? - I have been in the paint section for a long time!

Last edited by DIYaddict; 01-16-08 at 10:33 AM. Reason: Just realized another post...so more info
Old 01-16-08, 10:57 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
A door has 6 sides, the front, back, hinge edge, lockset edge, top and the bottom. All 6 sides should be sealed with paint or poly. This helps prevent the door from obsorbing any moisture.

You will want to use an interior woodwork enamel for the inside [some enamels are for walls only] While you can use most any exterior paint for the door finish, I'd expect you will be happier using an exterior enamel - it is less likely to show finger prints, etc. and can be cleaned easier than a flat house paint can.

Old 01-16-08, 11:12 AM
D
Now I get it (6 sides)

Thanks so much! I'm not worthy!!!! I'll get to it this weekend. Glad I asked cuz I sure would've goofed up or missed the sanding and priming at least.

Old 01-16-08, 11:58 AM
S
As a side note, pick up your coatings from a paint store. If you tell the folks behind the counter that you are painting an exterior unfinished door, they will be able to tell you what you need for both the inside and outside.

If you try that at BigBoxCo, you are likely going to end up with lousy primer under lousy house paint on your door, and you are going to hate it.

SirWired

Old 01-16-08, 12:04 PM
D
Excellent, excellent side note

Furgot...1 more question:

If I am painting a dark color, shouldn't I use a primer w/a tint to it or a dark base primer-whatever it's called? Or b/c the fact that I'll be using oil base primer...I'll be fine?

Old 01-16-08, 01:44 PM
S
Yes, by all means use a dark-tinted primer. Oil-base vs. water-base primer makes no difference as to the hide.

Sherwin Williams prints the suggested primer tint on the back of the color chips. Look for P-someNumber

SirWired

Old 01-22-08, 04:19 PM
D
Thanks everyone. It came out great. Uh...however, I went to the paint store...you wouldn't believe this, but I ASKED the guy to tint the primer...and he repeated me in question..."You want the primer tinted?" Is that weird? BTW: I got a AAA discount That's when I noticed I can get AAA discount at a lot of other places. I didn't even think of that. At least I think I did. They asked for the card but I don't see the discount on the receipt. It was supposed to be 25% off. Cool anyway.

Oh yeah...AND it really took me longer than I thought it would. Seemed like all day, all night! And the doors were off the jamb! 6 sides...both doors...sand, dust, primer, let dry...paint...let dry...paint again...dry..flip over...whew! I'm glad I'm done and not sure I'd do it again. Yeah...I would.

Old 01-22-08, 06:04 PM
Super Moderator
painting door

Arrrghhh!!!!! we forgot to tell you the trick for painting both sides of the door quickly without waiting for one side to dry...come on guys!!!!!...what were we thinking!!!!

Old 01-22-08, 06:20 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Ya, I always paint the doors standing up and paint the bottom later or I'll flip the door for one of the other coats...... but I understand how it is easier for a diyer to paint a door on saw bucks - especially if the door has panels.

What kind of paint store did you go to? Paint stores like SWP or B.Moore tint primers everyday.

Lot of work but I bet that new door looks great on your house! and you got bragging rites too

Old 01-23-08, 09:13 AM
D
Doh! Well...I like standing up while I paint too.

I just thought it would be "better" to take it off (since I wasn't done with the weather strip and stuff). That way....I REALLY painted it well and throughout. Took the hinges off and such ya know? Don't have to tape anything or go around anything. Oh well. Actually, the door didn't have any panels Just a glass french door.

Anyway, I went to Dunn-Edwards.

Old 01-23-08, 09:29 AM
Super Moderator
painting

DIY,

Heres the way I normally paint 'em. But then, I HATE to paint, so it's not that often.

Drive deck screws into the top and bottom of the door (yes, I know, you may have to take the seal off the bottom on exterior doors, but I normally replace that at the same time anyway).

2 screws each end (though I've heard of only putting 1 in the center at one end, then its a 1 man flip), about 4-5" from the sides. If you don't have wood all the way across, then where the wood is. I predrill the holes, just to avoid any splitting. Leave the screws sticking out about 1 1/2". Set the screws on your sawhorses, prep and paint, then flip and do the other side. Repeat for topcoat. Let it dry completely, and yer good to go. I'll normally just put a dab of caulk in the screw holes, as they'll never be seen. Also, lets me know where the holes are for the next time

Works for me anyway...

Good job on yer project...what?? no pics?

Old 01-23-08, 09:46 AM
D
Hey...that's brilliant. Ya know...I DO have some 2 panel interior doors and a fire door to paint, so I COULD try that method. Very cool idea. Who knows when I'll ever get to it though.

I didn't want to post it yet cuz the surrounding areas (trim, casing, paneling, walls, ceiling...) hasn't been done yet...so, you know...you won't get the whole "oooo...ahhh" effect.

Old doors (before):

New doors (prior to painting):

New doors (after painting-interior):

New doors (after painting-exterior):

Old 01-23-08, 05:44 PM
Looks great!! I see you were well taken care of

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: