Shiny Lines from Latex Caulk

Old 01-21-08, 09:55 AM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Shiny Lines from Latex Caulk

I bought a 1926 house with plaster walls. In painting the stairwell, I wanted to repair some cracks - a painter friend of mine told me to scrape out the cracks, inject latex (painter's) caulk, tape and skimcoat. I did all that and primed with a oil-base primer - everything looked great! After painting the wills with a satin paint, I noticed I could see shiny lines where the caulk had been used. I've thought of going over the areas again with primer but not sure if that will solve the problem. Any suggestions??

Thanks in advance!
~Keith

Old 01-21-08, 04:44 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
It is probably a difference in texture - the caulk is smooth and wall has a little texture.

Just reread your post and realized you taped and skim coated over the caulk.... and you can see where the caulk was, under the tape? Have you put a straight edge on the wall area to make sure it is flat/level? There is a slight possiblity that the caulked line is curing at a different rate than the rest of the wall - if so it should blend with time.

Old 01-21-08, 07:07 PM
Never use caulk in a plaster/drywall stress crack. It will shrink way too much. Use Durabond in a cut open stress crack with paper tape. Drywall screws on each side of the crack is a good idea.

Old 01-22-08, 10:50 AM
K
I appreciate the info!

Before mudding, taping, skimming coating all the walls and then sanding, the caulk had cured thus I'm thinking that's not the problem. Being an old house with plaster walls and settling, they're definitely not as smooth and even as I would like.

Wondering if putting another coat of primer would help?

Old 01-22-08, 02:05 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
I doubt it's a primer issue although it wouldn't hurt to apply another coat of paint to see if that would help.

Old 02-24-08, 08:15 AM
I
Hi,
We have an 18th century house and have the same problem: shiny painters caulk showing up on plaster walls through oil based Kilz & flat latex wall paint. Did you find a solution to your problem...what was it?
Thanks for any help you can give.
Patrice(aka Mike)

Old 09-25-08, 09:53 AM
K
Sorry for the VERY delayed post - I haven't progressed as I'm having my bathroom remodeled (another FUN adventure! ). My plan is to apply another coat of paint to see if a second application will do the job. If it doesn't, I'm not sure what I will do but I will keep you posted.

~Keith

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: