Streaky finish with Eggshell Paint

Old 01-24-08, 02:31 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Streaky finish with Eggshell Paint

One week ago we painted 2 rooms with Benjamin Moore Eggshell finish. One in a dark blue and the other in a light gray. Both rooms have a streaky looking sheen. The gray room has long streaky pattern like you are seeing roller marks. The dark blue room has a more blotchy look. You can only see this when the light hits the wall and you are looking at an angle. The problem is when you walk into the room you may not see it directly in front of you, but when you look at the side walls it is very noticeable. Would adding a 3rd coat get ride of the problem? How can we fix this?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-08, 03:35 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 255 Votes on 225 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Latex enamels can be a little tricky on walls, especially if going over flat paint. I suspect you either have a rolling technique issue or a bad [cheap] roller cover - possibly a combination of the two.

You need to apply plenty of paint! Don't dry roll or try to squeeze all the paint out of the roller cover. Applying plenty of paint and then lightly back rolling what you have put on should fix the problem.

If the blotchy areas are texture issues - another coat of paint probably won't help.

Old 01-24-08, 03:52 PM
S
For me, using a 3/8" Purdy White Dove, a full roller load covered a single 8-foot floor-ceiling strip. A single trip up and down the wall, and a up-and-down backroll of the previous strip, then reload. All that crazy M or W or N pattern stuff in DIY books is a colossal waste of time, and just more work.

As marksr said, don't squeeze the paint onto the wall. Instead, let the roller do the work.

Also, which BM paint are you using? They make many different grades. Some are good, some aren't so good...

SirWired

Old 01-24-08, 05:30 PM
Did you use a stain killing primer on these walls first? If not...I would blame the problem on this. You are seeing what we pros call "flashing". When the light of incidence shows all. Unless you go back and re-due this work using a primer first, recoating the rooms will not fix it 100%. <p>IMHO Ben Moore Aquavelvet was nothing moore then a complete nightmare using this product for the first 7 years of my career.

Old 01-24-08, 06:37 PM
S
Aside from the usual suspects for roller lines like using cheap quality roller sleeves and poor technique (squishing the paint out of the roller rather than laying it down and rolling it on), deeper colors and eggshell finishes have there own special needs

Those colors could possibly need 3 coats, depending on what color they are going over, using the quality sleeves and laying the paint rather than squishing it, and one other thing
Eggshell and other sheens need to be rolled one way

The finish rolls (the last rolls while it's still wet) all need to be in the same direction, up/down, or left/right
I strongly suggest up/down...and I'd suggest doing all the strokes that way, but for sure the last ones
Failure to do so can cause oddness in the sheen, such as you seem to be describing

It could also be failure to mix the paint properly (it still needs mixing unless used right away from the shaker-especially sheens like eggshell), and poor prep or poor substrate conditions (not cleaning/sanding, going over 7 year old builder's paint, not priming bare sheetrock)

Unless it's a surfactant leeching issue which would look more like an oozing sheen thing (or moisture on the wall that isn't really moisture, but can be wiped off, but it comes back), which it doesn't sound like

Hope this helps
With more info we might be able to pin it down some more

Old 01-26-08, 07:57 AM
N
Reply to streaky finish with eggshell paint

I hope this information answers all of your questions. We used BM Regal eggshell finish paint. Our house is only 2 years old and the builder used sherwin williams flat paint in the bedrooms that we are having the problems with. The color is Latte (a light taupe color). I do not know what grade of sherwin williams paint they used. I just lightly dry dusted the walls before starting and wiped the base boards with a damp cloth. We did not apply primer first. When I purchased the roller sleeves at a National Home Center there was a choice of 2.99, 4.99, 8.99. I went with the 4.99 one. I cannot remember the name of it. The first coat was applied with 1/2 nap, which did not work well. I went back to the store and bought the 3/8 nap for the 2nd coat. Our walls are textured, but I would not say they are heavily textured. The bonus room, which is the room in the light gray color and has the most streaks, was probably only primer on the angled walls and ceilings. They had painted a small portion of the the walls that were straight with the Latte color and that part has no streaks. the angled walls and ceiling has the worst streaks and I bet they never went back and painted them after priming. I bought the paint 1 hour before using it, so I do not think it is a mixing problem. We may not have let the first coat dry enough before applying the 2nd coat also. We are going to try adding a 3rd coat to al the romms with all of your suggestions(except for priming then adding a coat.) If this does not fix the problem then we may have to prime and try it again. Looking forward to your suggestions. Thank you for all of your help.

Old 01-26-08, 09:20 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Promar 400 is probably the most commonly used 'builder paint' from SWP. IMO it does a poor job - it colors the wall rather than 'paints' the wall. I've had good success with the promar 200 but won't use the 400 or the even cheaper 700.

There are a lot of builders and painting contractors that will forgo the primer on textured walls - because they can The paint will cover and look decent but it makes it almost unwashable and will give problems when trying to top coat with enamel.

Ideally you would have primed over the builder's paint and then applied your eggshell enamel. At this point I'd try another coat of eggshell - it should fix the problem, just be sure to apply it liberally and correctly

Old 01-26-08, 09:39 AM
S
Without seeing it I'd also have to say the issue could easily be the previous paint job

The 'builder's paint' could easily be extremely thirsty (sucking up the BM Regal) and causing blotchy-ness and flashing

At this point I'd also suggest another coat of BM Regal, properly applied with quality tools

Old 01-26-08, 11:46 AM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
My experience with eggshell paint is that you have to maintain a wet edge at all times (no taking a break in the middle of a wall) and making sure that all finish strokes are in the same direction (i.e. always finish with a down stroke).

See if there is a recommendation on the paint can as to proper procedures. Sometime they recommend putting the paint on in a dry area and working back toward a wet area, sometimes the opposite (start wet and work toward dry).

Don't try to go back and touch up any areas or they will flash over and be visible with eggshell. It is also my understanding that a satin finish is more forgiving and can be touched up without flashing over.

Paints with sheens also "telescope" any wall defects. If the walls are not smooth, then you will see every seam, crack, or bump more than with a flat paint. If the problems stem from the walls and not the paint (except for the sheen) then you can paint over with a scrubbable flat paint. They are relatively new and are much easier to clean up compared to traditional flat paint. BenMorre makes a brand called Regal Matte, very very low sheen flat that is scrubbable.

Old 01-26-08, 06:03 PM
Going over builders flat I assume. The whole house the same color walls? Here in this part of town SW paint for new construction is CBH paint I believe. Just two coats of this stuff over the bare drywall no primer. This paint like all other builders paint is blown on dust. Your first coat is absorbing in big time. From this info now, it is a combination of the BEN Moore paint with the roller covers and the application technique. A third coat should help out big time. let us know.

Old 01-27-08, 01:36 PM
N
Well, the third coat is done. It is a huge improvement. There are some streaks but nothing like before. I think it is a texture issue now. the eggshell really shows the flaws in the walls( the bonus room where they were sloppy with there work). We can live with the way it looks now, plus we are worn out with painting. Thanks for all the great advice. Now we know what to do when we start painting the other rooms in the house.

Old 01-27-08, 01:46 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Also when you put the room back together - curtains, pictures, furniture, etc. - the minor defects in the walls may not even be noticable

Old 01-27-08, 01:58 PM
S
...and thanks for the update!

Old 01-27-08, 04:35 PM
Originally Posted by slickshift View Post
...and thanks for the update!
I will second that