How to paint over oak

Old 01-26-08, 05:47 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to paint over oak

Hi. I have an oak mantel over my fireplace stained in a clear stain. However, I have white trim throughout my house and would like to paint my oak mantel white to match my white trim. Can anyone give me step by step instructions on how to paint over the oak and not have the wood grains show through the paint?

I know. I know. Most of you out there will say to leave the beauty of the wood. But, I really would prefer the white mantel. I guess too much HGTV! Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!

Old 01-27-08, 04:37 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Remove any wax [if any]
sand and dust
apply a coat of solvent primer [oil base or pigmented shellac]
apply 2 coats of latex or waterborne enamel, sanding between coats

If you are really worried about the open grain showing, you can apply a thin layer of spackling or joint compound after priming, sand it all off [leaving it just in the grain] dust and reprime.

Old 01-27-08, 07:16 AM
I've always said that oak is stain grade wood and pine or poplar is paint grade. Mark's suggestion is what I would go with.

Old 01-27-08, 07:35 AM
T
Thank You

Thank you both for your help. I will print out your directions and give them to my hubbie. He's been dead set against painting over the oak. It was either that or replace the mantel all together. So, having said that, he'll try to paint over the oak. It's more cost efficient. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Oh yeah, any suggestions on what brand of paint? Thanks again!

Old 01-27-08, 01:40 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Personally I'd go to SWP and get one of their pro block primers and top coat with proclassic waterborne enamel.

Benjamin Moore also has quality primers and paints. Generally any paint store will have good coatings for you to use. Don't go to a big box or any paint dept - their coatings are price driven which usually means they have the cheapest price and the resulting lower quality

Old 03-13-09, 01:41 PM
B
tj_shopper, how did it go painting over the oak? We're looking to do exactly the same thing to our mantle, and have been trying to find the best way to do it.

For all you experts out there, someone suggested we try a melamine paint to hide the grain. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks,
BlueFrog

Old 03-13-09, 01:56 PM
B
I would use Ben Moore oil base primers and Satin Impervo Finish. The additions to the previous advice I would make is, to prime twice, skim the flat surfaces between primers with joint compound, that should fill the grain nicely.

Bill

Old 03-14-09, 04:09 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
If you use joint compound, you will want to sand it almost all off when dry, leaving the j/c only in the grain.

Old 03-30-09, 02:36 PM
T
Hi All. We had other home improvements that we decided to work on before the mantel. It fell behind finishing the basement. So, we did not paint the oak mantel. Have anyone else done this and can you post pictures?

Thanks and sorry I have been gone so long!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: