Do I need to prime

Old 02-20-08, 10:16 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Do I need to prime

Just bought a new house and I plan on doing a lot of painting in this house. I am somewhat of a novice at painting. The first room I am painting is the kitchen which currently has a pink color with a semi gloss finish on it. I know you should use a semi gloss in kitchens but I want to go with an green color in an eggshell finish. My question is do I have to prime the walls done in the semi gloss prior to painting with the eggshell?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-08, 10:34 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 291 Votes on 259 Posts
Basically you only need to prime if the walls need to be sealed or there are stains or adhesion issues. Assuming the semi-gloss is latex, eggshell/satin should adhere fine although it would be a good idea to lightly sand the semi-gloss first. Just a quick scuff sanding is all that is needed.

Old 02-21-08, 02:39 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
While you do not need to prime, since this is a kitchen, make sure you wash the walls down well, in addition to scuff-sanding. No paint is going to adhere to a grease film.

TSP (available in the paint dept of most hardware stores) is some powerful stuff that is good for this use.

And don't worry about your paint choice. Modern eggshells should do just fine in the kitchen unless you are a real messy cook.

SirWired