Lacquer vs Polyurethane vs Catalized Lacquer

Old 02-24-08, 09:01 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Lacquer vs Polyurethane vs Catalized Lacquer

I have always preferred polyurethane to lacquer finishes due to the toughness. Despite the fact that lacquer dries quickly I can't see much benefit of using the stuff. It has little water resistance and it scratches easily. The only drawbacks with oil base urethane are the slow drying time and the amber tone. I tried water based urethane and thought it was crap. It "whited" instead of yellowing and did not apply that well.

I had a house built and they used a catalyzed Sherwin Williams lacquer. It was better than lacquer but not nearly as tough as polyurethane (even though their research said it was).

Is there anything out there that I am missing. I typically use either a Devilbiss gun or airless.

Thanks,

Jim

Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-08, 06:16 PM
S
Missing? No...you seem to have a firm grasp of the situation

There are other interesting finishes out there, but none to be sprayed really
The oils (tung, danish, lemon, etc.) and beeswax (liquid/hard) aren't really for spraying
Same with the marine/spar varnishes...though I suppose you could spray some of them I guess...never heard of that though
Mostly those get spec'd for an old school client/job

Old 02-24-08, 07:51 PM
M
marine spar

I sprayed marine spar varnish on the underside of a T&G wood patio ceiling. I sprayed on two coats and it went on fine. I was told that it would hold up better than Polyurethane. Being on the underside it had less UV rays.

I also sprayed 6 coats of urethane clear on a front door sanding between each coat. The spar varnish was an expensive finish and it started to look a bit weathered at 4 years. The urethane was still going strong when I sold the house after 15 years.

I have mixed tung oil and urethane and stain and sprayed them on. The tung oil seems to soften the penetration of the stain. It worked quite well.

Jim

Old 02-25-08, 04:00 AM
B
A good catalyzed lacquer or Conversion Varnish is much better then your standard brush on urethane. the Urethanes fail at a greater rate, however, you do not see the failure therefore it is assumed that they do not fail. by good, I mean M.L. Campbell's Magnamax, WW Hi Performances Precat, Sw's F57, Gemini's Gemvar. All these are good precatalized lacquers. (although the gemini reps and I argue about gemvar) If you are willing to spray a post cat product, M.L. Cambell's CV200 is the best conversion varnish out there at the moment.

as for waterborne, remember that finish manufacturer's are creating new waterbornes that have the durability of the above mentioned finishes. They have to do so in order to compete in CA.