filling grooves in paneling

Old 03-11-08, 06:51 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
filling grooves in paneling

I have wood paneling with grooves that is in very good condition but very dark. I would like to fill the grooves and paint the paneling a light color.

any suggestions on how to fill or cover the grooves to give a smooth wall appearance??

Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-08, 07:54 AM
S
I had a friend with the same problem. She started out trying to fill with drywall compound (or maybe it was spackle). That ended up being a tedious bore, and looked obvious to boot. She ended up just getting some thin sheetrock from a lumberyard (1/4", I think), and screwed it right on top of the paneling into the studs.

SirWired

Old 03-11-08, 11:21 AM
B
thanks but no thanks

Thanks but thats just what i am trying to avoid. I know joint compound won't work, i've tried it before. I'll paint it with the grooves though before I SR, tape and compound.

Bill

Old 03-11-08, 11:56 AM
D
I'm are real estate agent and I have seen paneling painted and the grooves filled in and also just painted. If I am not mistaken I think there is something you can buy specifically for filling in the grooves in paneling. But done right just painting the paneling looks great too.

Old 03-11-08, 12:29 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 297 Votes on 263 Posts
Poorly filled grooves look a lot worse than painted grooves. The grooves can be filled with either joint compound or spackling - figure on 2 coats and sand even with the paneling.

You should use a solvent based primer on the paneling. This will help prevent the finish paint from chipping or peeling. 1 coat primer and 2 coats latex finish is the norm.

btw - welcome to the forums!

Old 03-14-08, 05:31 PM
B
You're going to have to prime the paneling anyway. Prime it and then live with that for a week. You find that leaving the grooves unfilled looks good.

If you fill the grooves and do not get them smooth and even with the paneling, it will look far worse than leaving the grooves.

Old 03-14-08, 06:33 PM
Trying to fill in the grooves works for wall coverings but not for paneling. If you are going to paint, skip trying to cover up the grooves. The drywall idea or complete removal is best. After you prime the paneling, you will need a few tubes of paintable caulk in every seam as well as the corners (ceiling & Baseboards). This looks respectable after it is done. But again removal is the way to go if you plan on staying there a while.

Old 03-15-08, 11:42 AM
B
Thanks

Thank you all for your suggestions. I get the hint. I painted and left the grooves, looks great for a rental.