Recommended prep

Old 03-11-08, 12:45 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Recommended prep

I've been reading some of the post here, we are considering repainting the exterior and interior of our 4 year old home and have a few prep questions. We built the house in 04' and our color choices did not turn out and the painter didn't warn us either so we were stuck with them so to speak and this is the one of the main reasons for wanting to repaint so soon. He used Sherwin Williams paint which we have NOT had any problems with and we have a six-year old son who is a typical rough and tough boy. Of course most the extra paint we had left over is either dried up or literally stinks from sitting in a hot south Texas garage for almost 4 years.

The exterior is 100% brick with the facia board and over hangs being a rough textured wood, so we do have a tendency towards mold and the trim is a light color (SW 6051 Sashay Sand) and the doors are a very dark color (SW 6054 Canyon Clay). We are wanting to flip flop the light and dark contrasts to make our front door pop and stand out from the street (we are set back from the road about 150ft). As far as prep how long after using a mold remover do we need to wait to paint? I over heard a HD employee talking the other day while looking a paint colors say that you need a hot day of almost no humidity before the day you paint in order to avoid bubbling.

As far as the interior is concerned, the color on the wall is SW 6056 Polite White and the trim is SW 6059 Interface Tan. The trim in incandescent and flourescent lighting has a very pink undertone to it. We hated it the minute we walked in after they had finished painting the entire house. Of course at that point we were looking to save money (did the sub-contracting ourselves) and decided to live with it. Otherwise the exterior would be the only thing we would be painting at this point.

Anyway, the primer was in the texture and the walls are eggshell and the trim semi-gloss. We have been very happy with the two sheens and plan on sticking to those. My question is do we need to use any type of the primer on the walls, doors and trim? We plan on using colors with more of a yellow undertone but not really any darker or lighter than we already have and are trying to stay away from the redder and green tones. It's very difficult after looking at tons of paint samples to make a choice we are comfortable with and will enjoy longer.

Any advice is great. We still haven't decided on a paint brand either but are leaning towards SW or Behr as they seem to have some of the best colors we like. And after one disastrous paint sample choice I like the way the SW paint went on. I had been using qts of Glidden for touch up at my business and hate the way it goes on so I think we definately be staying away from that brand.

Old 03-11-08, 01:39 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 361 Votes on 318 Posts
Glidden makes some good paint but you won't find it at a big box, in fact it is hard to find quality coatings at a big box Your best bet for quality paint and advice is to go to a real paint store. I suggest staying with SWP since that is what you have now and with them being familiar with the coatings on your house, they can easily advise on which coatings will be best for repainting.

After washing an exterior it takes 1-3 days of clear weather for everything to dry out prior to painting.

Unless there is any raw wood or drywall repairs, you shouldn't need any primer [inside or out] Yellows don't always cover well so your SWP rep can advise you further depending on the color you pick.

Old 03-11-08, 03:30 PM
D
Thanks for the info. Relieved we don't have to prime again. Now it's just finding the right colors.

Old 03-12-08, 06:24 AM
S
I thought I would mention that you should pretty much ignore any "advice" you get from the Home Depot paint dept.

If it was necessary to have a hot, bone-dry day before painting, most of the Eastern half of the country would never get their houses painted. Yes, you want to avoid painting in 95% humidity or just after a rain, but otherwise, a pleasant warm, not-muggy, day works just fine...

Also, any paint store will mix any color from any brand. They even have cross-reference books so they won't even need to stick it in the color scanner. SW paint (SuperPaint or Duration) will serve you much better than Behr.

SW will mix up a $5 sample quart of almost any color you like... these can be real handy. We put it up on posterboard first, and if we liked it there, put some on the wall. Since your walls are not white now, some white primer underneath would help show the "true" color of the sample. (They are watered-down pseudo-paint meant only to help you judge color. You wouldn't want to actually paint with the stuff.)

Lastly, most paint stores will sell you a complete color fan for just a few bucks (my SWP fan was $10). This can save a lot of trips to the store for sample strips.

SirWired

Old 03-12-08, 02:22 PM
D
Thanks for the tip on the color fan! I may just invest in one. Occasionally I have to send real estate clients to the paint store for samples when selling their houses. This would be great if I could just hand them one while listing the the house!

Old 03-12-08, 02:45 PM
M
I really liked SW Superpaint but was not too impressed with Duration. Duration interior tended to run when applied with a airless sprayer.

Jim

Old 03-13-08, 05:50 PM
I love the Duration Home paint. Bar far the most washable paint I have used. I never sprayed before. I assumed it was backrolled when you sprayed?

Old 03-14-08, 07:19 AM
M
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Moisture can cause bubbleing so a day with no humidity is great but a day with NO humidity is hard to come by where I live. Basically if the sun is up and you feel what you are painting is dry to touch your most likely ok unless it is bare wood that might have soake up moisture from a rainfall which could be dry to touch yet still moist deep inside. Too hot can also cause bubbling because the paints molecules do not get a chance to come together before drying. I tend to wait two or three days of sun out after a rainfall like when doing a deck to ensure moisture has had time to evaporate.

]noadvertising.com/

Last edited by Shadeladie; 03-14-08 at 11:54 AM. Reason: Removed link
Old 03-14-08, 03:27 PM
D
Thanks for the tidbit on the humidity. South Texas is very humid in spring, summer & fall so you are right that a day with no humidity is hard to come by. I will keep in mind the bare wood soaking up moisture. We have only facia board, underneath the overhang and the ceiling of the back patio (which we are seriously considering trying out painting blue to detere the swallows nests) that are painted wood. Off the top of my head I don't think we have any barewood unless it gets exposed during our washing the mold off.

I have to say this board has been most helpful! Thank you so much.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: