Interior white trim paint

Old 03-19-08, 05:04 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Interior white trim paint

Good morning:

I know T am probable going to get hammered by the pros about "Box Stores" but here goes anyway.
I am re-doing all my interior doors and bought the cheapo raised panel ones at HD. I completely primed the door and waited 24 plus hours to coat with Glidded Gloss White. Problem is 3 coats later I see areas that look like they were only painted once.. very poor coverage is the main problem. I have completed three doors and they all look the same.. good in the basement, then when hung upstairs, look like s***.
MY questions are:
1. Can I fix without dropping $50 plus a gollon on BM or Porter paint?
2. Is white, always white? In another words, I have painted trim in two rooms with the Glidden white, will you notice a big difference between the two different whites? Based on the fact that I AM going to switch paint so this does not happen on all the other doors.
Ok, that is it, thanks as always in advance for any and all help.
Take care
Dan in Atlanta

Old 03-19-08, 05:51 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
Glidden makes some decent paint but the trouble with big box stores is they only sell the cheapest

What did you prime the doors with? Is the white paint a white base or a tint base? Tint base will be white [untinted] but will have no coverage properties until tinted.

There are 100's of whites, especially when using different brands.

Old 03-19-08, 07:30 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The last door I painted I had areas that did not have the gloss look. I was not using enough paint on the roller.

Old 03-19-08, 09:36 AM
S
Unforturnately, white is never white. Just about every paint company has about 15-20 different ones available. You can have the white you own now matched with another company's white. Just bring in what you have when buying new paint, and they should be able to get pretty close.

There is no cheap fix available that will magically make the Glidden you have on there cover properly.

So yes, you need to go to a real paint store and get some quality paint. Ben Moore Waterbourne Impervo, or Sherwin Waterbourne ProClassic is what you need here. These will run $40-ish a gallon, but since this is trim paint, you shouldn't need to use that much of it.

Before applying your new coats, give the doors a scuff sanding (and dust removal), to give the current coat some "tooth" to accept the new paint. It is not a bad idea to do this between every coat.

SirWired

Old 03-19-08, 12:03 PM
D
Thanks everyone!

I bit the bullet and went to SW and got a gallon of their good white interior paint. I will scuff the doors today, run a tack cloth over them an dthen apply the SW paint. I will also check and see what the Glidden says on the can and post back tomorrow about that and the results with th enew paint.

Thanks again and take care

Dan in Atlanta

Old 03-25-08, 05:48 PM
D
Ok, I bow down to ALL the pros and other people that have talked about how good SW paint really is...

I have used Glidden in the past for interior trim and it came out ok.. one coat did the trick until I was painting these new interior doors.. The Glidden was just plain old junk.. I applied it correct, sand, prime, two coats and it looked like a 5 year old did the job.
So, I posted here and took the advise of you guys and bought the SW interior white trim that was $40 a gallon and was/is well worth it!
One coat and the finish is beautiful.. AND it took about 1/2 the time to apply the SW paint.
So, I am sold on SW and thanks for all the help from the pros..
Do it right the first time and buy good paint!
Take care
Dan in Atlanta

Old 03-25-08, 06:57 PM
Originally Posted by Danno30008 View Post
Ok, I bow down to ALL the pros and other people that have talked about how good SW paint really is...

I have used Glidden in the past for interior trim and it came out ok.. one coat did the trick until I was painting these new interior doors.. The Glidden was just plain old junk.. I applied it correct, sand, prime, two coats and it looked like a 5 year old did the job.
So, I posted here and took the advise of you guys and bought the SW interior white trim that was $40 a gallon and was/is well worth it!
One coat and the finish is beautiful.. AND it took about 1/2 the time to apply the SW paint.
So, I am sold on SW and thanks for all the help from the pros..
Do it right the first time and buy good paint!
Take care
Dan in Atlanta
Now that is what I like to hear! Congrats Dan on a job well done. Personally I do not know where I would be without SW.

BTW are these doors the solid panel doors that are raw pine or oak?

Old 03-26-08, 05:41 AM
D
Hey:

The doors are the cheap ones from HD that are white and raised panels.. I got a great deal on thema nd when properly painted, they look great!

I am now sold on SW paint, plain and simple!

Old 03-26-08, 05:56 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
I like the masonite panel doors, IMO they look better painted than the solid wood ones - no panels to move and crack. I've always thought that they painted well but I've never tried to paint one with cheap paint

Old 03-26-08, 05:26 PM
Good, just wanted to clarify you have the proper paint grade doors. They do look good after paint.

I just completed a job today but there doors were solid pine panel doors. Panels moving around with gaps at the butt seams. Nothing but trouble later. But the builder on this new house used them and sprayed them with the classic SBF (crap builders paint) on them. I applied one coat of off white SW Superpaint Semi Gloss. Right now they look great.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: