Painting over stained wood?????????????

Old 03-27-08, 05:49 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Painting over stained wood?????????????

I have a chair rail that that I am about to put up but it is currently stained with a meduim colored stain. I want to paint the chair rail white. First, is it possilbe to paint over without ever seeing the stain finish? Do i use a kilz to cover the stain? If this is not recommended, please let me know, I can always buy new paintable grade wood and install that. Thanks for any suggestions.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-08, 09:09 AM
C
Clean the old wood thoroughly with mineral spirits to remove the accumulated grease, grit, and grime. Lightly scuff sand the finish to improve adhesion, prime, then paint.

Old 03-27-08, 11:56 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 260 Votes on 230 Posts
It would be best to use a solvent based primer, most latex primers don't adhere well to poly/varnish. it usually takes 1 coat primer and 2 coats finish [latex or oil] to completely cover the stain/poly.

Old 03-27-08, 12:11 PM
R
I like to use B.I.N. That's what works best for me when ever covering stained molding to ensure it does not bleed through your top coat. Definitely not a latex as mentioned, however all I have to add to this is, I usually will use a respirator whenever using the solvent base and make sure the room is ventilated well.

Last edited by stickshift; 03-28-08 at 02:31 PM. Reason: removed quoting of entire post
Old 03-27-08, 08:43 PM
If you are reinstalling this trim without any cutting, prime with an oil or shellac primer. Then apply two finish coats for a pro looking finish.

If this trim is from elsewhere, and you are cutting it to fit, I would buy new trim, prime and two finish coats.

Old 03-28-08, 05:20 PM
S
Clean
Scuff sand
Dust
Prime with a quality solvent-based primer (I'd suggest Zinsser's Cover-Stain off-hand, but Zinsser's shellac-based BIN, Ben Moore and Sherwin William's Akyd primers also are good choices)
Two finish coats premium quality paints, latex or alkyd
I'd recommend a nice oil or waterborne enamel myself