cracked paint around trim

Old 03-27-08, 05:40 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
cracked paint around trim

Hello,

I am planning on painting our family room but I have noticed where the trim around doors meets the wall there are cracks in the paint. There are also cracks and chips in the trim itself. Underneath the paint, the wood is stained. I don't know if these cracks are due to too many coats of paint or lack of priming before the previous owners painted.

How do I best prep for painting. Do I need to strip the trim or can I sand these areas down and them prime well?

Thank you for any help!

Betsy

Last edited by betula; 03-27-08 at 05:41 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 03-27-08, 07:35 PM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
It does sound like an inferior prep job by the previous painter.
The pealing paint on the flat surfaces could be due to that..
The cracks where the trim meets the walls could be a settleing issue or poor caulking at the joints.
A good sanding with say, 100grit paper to scuff up the old paint and even into some of the stain, followed by a good primer, perhaps oil based..or Zinzer latex would give a good base for your top coat....
As far as the cracks on the sides where it meets the wall, another bead of painters caulking will fill those cracks...
Thats how I would probably do it..
Perhaps some 'painters' on here could offer their expertise ..!!

Old 03-27-08, 08:54 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
This sounds like there is oil based paint on the wall and trim. Oil based paint will crack like this because it is so hard of a finish. More then a few coats also will do this combining the two types of paint (oil and latex). Some bull work here. Scrape off all this cracked paint. Smooth with durabond regular. Caulk where needed. Prime and paint. Easier said then done. Good luck. Let us know how this comes out.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: