Removing paint from cement block foundation

Old 03-29-08, 05:00 PM
O
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Removing paint from cement block foundation

I am trying to remove paint from my cement block foundation so that I can applly a water proofer. I have yet to find a paint stripper that can go through the layers and get to the block. Then getting it off the block is another challange. The one stripper that worked OK needs to be pressure washed off. It works to a point, but what a mess. Any ideas.

Thanks.

Old 03-29-08, 05:45 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 361 Votes on 318 Posts
What type of waterproofer are you wanting to apply?

If you have removed the majority of the paint, it should be ok to apply drylok. pressure washing or sandblasting is probably the only way to remove it all.

Old 03-29-08, 09:33 PM
O
I am using drylok and as you know the first coat needs to penetrate the block. Only by using a pressure washer am I able to get some of it off. I am going to be putting up walls over the foundation so I want to be sure to do it right. I was thinking about putting a grinding wheel on my drill and just taking a layer of block off. What are your thoughts. Thanks.

Old 03-30-08, 06:43 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
A grinding wheel would be might messy/dusty!!!

While it is ideal for the block to be raw prior to applying drylok, if the pores are somewhat open, it should work ok. The main thing is for the drylok to be able to fill the pores, the deeper it can penetrate the better.

Do you presently have any moisture issues with the wall? Drylok is a good product but it is always best to stop the water on the exterior - gutters piped away from the house, grade away from house, seal foundation and use a foundation drain [I know, hard to do after the fact ]

If the wall presently stays dry, I wouldn't go overboard trying to ready the block for drylok.

Old 04-28-08, 12:02 AM
O
Well I had to go with a grinder. A mess is an understatement. It went right through the floor into the house. Had to seal sections off with plastic. With two weeks of no rain the block is just about dry. I do plan on digging out the foundation to water proof the outside. Any recommendations?

Thanks

Old 04-28-08, 05:34 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
The correct procedure on the exterior is to stucco the wall [helps to seal any voids] and then apply a foundation grade tar. A foundation drain tile [similiar to septic tile but small slits instead of big holes] and gravel is used at the bottom of the foundation wall to collect and pipe out any water.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: