Please comment strategy to re-stain deck / repaint metal stair

Old 03-29-08, 11:54 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Please comment strategy to re-stain deck / repaint metal stair

I have a 16ft x 10ft deck, and a spiral metal staircase attached to it. They were both coated 2.5 years ago -- the pressure treated wood deck coated with Cabot solid stain (after weathering for 4 weeks), the stair with oil based rustoleum. Both have somed peeled sections. It's time to re-coat. I am planning to use Benjamin Moore products. I am planning the following:

a) Clean with water and hose (or powerwash if I can get the tool). Clean with deck cleaner/TSP/some detergent. Rinse.

b) For the deck, spot primer with BMoore alkyd deck primer (366):
http://www.benjaminmoore.com/bmpsweb...h_findproducts

c) Then, use BMoore solid deck stain (N065)

d) For the stair, prime with IronClad Alkyd low lustre enamel (C163). Then use alkyd Porch and Floor enamel (C112)

e) I am aware that the porch and floor enamel is gloosy and maybe slippery, but my stair has anti-skid raised diamond patterned treads. This should suffice to minimize slippery situations, right?? There is also the difference in sheen (deck with flat stain, stair with glossy paint), but it's OK, right??

Any comment will be appreciated. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-08, 06:24 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
I'm not overly familiar with BM coatings but it sounds like a good plan.

If you have any mildew on the deck, a bleach/water solution should be added to the mix. Rinse well!

There shouldn't be any aesthetic issues with the gloss on the metal stairs - they are 2 seperate materials. Between the anti slip design of the tread and the use of the handrail there shoudn't be any safety issues.

I suspect the reason your original stain peeled was the PT lumber wasn't sufficently dried - preventing a good bond.

Old 03-30-08, 03:17 PM
S
I am overly familiar with BM products, and it sounds like a good plan

I'd use the BM deck cleaner though...it's not that it's not something you probably couldn't make yourself, or use a TSP/Bleach/Water mix for, but the BM stuff is just the right mix for the products you are using after

Old 03-30-08, 06:06 PM
I three thinks it sounds like a good plan. I would use a power washer. It is quick and easy. It also will blast off that peeling paint. The decks on the new side so you should have no trouble with the power washing (ie. blasting off soft/rotted wood).

The power washer is good for reveling the hidden soft/rotted wood.

Old 03-31-08, 01:49 PM
M
How much if I contract someone to do this?

Thanks for your useful replies.

Depending on time restrictions, there is a chance I might contract someone to do this work. What should be a good price range to re-stain a 16ft x 10 ft deck in fair/good condition, and repaint a 10-raiser spiral metal staircase, following the process described previously? I got a quote from someone (small-operation general contractor, not a paint-only company), and he quotes $650 for the deck and $650 for the stair, including *his* materials -- but he might ask a tiny bit more if I get "fanzy" and ask for top-quality BMoore products.

Old 03-31-08, 05:15 PM
S
Unknown
Not w/o tons more info and even a visual on it
As labor is the biggest expense, actual ease of reach on this thing will be a huge factor
For all we know you might need a lift to get to the back of it
(not that I think you do, but the point is we wouldn't know)
As will things like type of railing...some take an hour, some a day...big difference

Also as it is mostly labor, your area rates can differ greatly from mine...or nagras...or marks

And again as it is mostly labor, I would suggest a Painting or even a Deck resto-type company
You really don't want a GC sending Beavis and Butthead over there with a couple of brushes because "anyone can paint"

Old 03-31-08, 05:49 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
....... and get several quotes and check references.

Old 03-31-08, 06:37 PM
Make sure the person who comes out for the estimate is the person doing the work or there supervising and not the salesmen/saleswoman who never picked up a brush before.

Beavis and Butthead!